Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Mr @Hazelwood Brewery! Your Cygnet boiler looks remarkably like my 30l Burco one, where did you get the malt basket/pipe from? Looks like it would be a decent upgrade from my BIAB bag! Also, did you just mount your sparge spray though the handle hole in the middle of the lid? My handle has nearly corroded through so that too might be a worthwhile upgrade. Do you have a 'brewhouse build' type post anywhere?
Many thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe,
The basket came from Amazon but you can get them on EBay too, I paid £80. I’ve seen them at much lower prices but couldn’t vouch for any because I haven’t bought another as yet.
My setup and the spray attachment is described in my early posts on this thread…
It’s actually two components that screw together through a hole in the lid. On the inside an atomiser nozzle with a 1/2 inch bsp thread. On the outside I fitted a male quick disconnect having a female 1/2 inch bsp thread. See pics.

After mash-out my final gravity before sparging is 1057 and is 1 point higher than expected so pretty much on track.

7713FD6D-D1F9-4B6E-ABB0-23C17118F07D.jpeg

Sparge now in progress with 8 litres of untreated RO water.

8190CE8E-A7D7-4221-9436-F887FC08D2E3.jpeg

A quick catch-up…

The pre-boil gravity was 1046 so again was 1 point up on my normal gravity at this point.
76CCC9EA-0735-4265-BAE5-41F86D60319B.jpeg

The boil was uneventful but different to usual because I would normally add a bittering charge. Not of this occasion because I’m raising the IBUs in the hopstand by raising the temperature.

Hopstand is currently in progress but I’m holding back some of the Citra I would normally put in the hopstand to use in the dry hop stage where free thiols will be best utilised.

7D2B8F51-A1B6-45B6-82F9-61317775D384.jpeg

A quick catch-up…

The pre-boil gravity was 1046 so again was 1 point up on my normal gravity at this point.
View attachment 50335
The boil was uneventful but different to usual because I would normally add a bittering charge. Not of this occasion because I’m raising the IBUs in the hopstand by raising the temperature.

Hopstand is currently in progress but I’m holding back some of the Citra I would normally put in the hopstand to use in the dry hop stage where free thiols will be best utilised.

View attachment 50334
What temp are you adding the hop stand. This is something I need to adjust. I don't chill my beer so the hop stand basically sits in the beer until it cools. I have been getting to much bitterness from the 150g I normally add at 90 degrees.

What temp are you adding the hop stand. This is something I need to adjust. I don't chill my beer so the hop stand basically sits in the beer until it cools. I have been getting to much bitterness from the 150g I normally add at 90 degrees.

On this occasion I’ve used 90C but only for 20 minutes before chilling down to 18C and removing the hops (in a bag).

That’s it, beer is in the fermentation cabinet. It finished at 1050 so is 2 points higher than I might have expected.

3A35CE69-3011-4EB0-A0F8-7DE84C827BFF.jpeg

The brew-day didn’t finish as expected either. My plan was to add my first cold-side hops today, pouring the wort on top of them in the fermenter. However, when I reached for my last pack of Citra hops it turned out to be a pack of Cascade hops!

All is not lost, I do already have some due to arrive tomorrow and I don’t think it will make much/any difference if I put the hops in tomorrow. I am annoyed with myself though for not checking stock so going to console myself with a beer.

I'm interested in this idea of adding a small quantity of hops to the mash!

Is this something we'll all be doing in six month's time? 😀

I'm interested in this idea of adding a small quantity of hops to the mash!

Is this something we'll all be doing in six month's time? 😀
Maybe 😉 The trouble with these things is knowing whether it makes any *meaningful* difference. It’s all very well saying the science proves it but if you can’t see/smell/taste the difference?

Just so I have this straight are you doing a small mash hop, hopstand/whirlpool, dry hop before fermentation and double dry hop post fermentation?

Just so I have this straight are you doing a small mash hop, hopstand/whirlpool, dry hop before fermentation and double dry hop post fermentation?
That’s right. The mash hop is to preserve flavour and aroma, the whirlpool is to get loads of bound thiols in the wort, the dry hop at the start of fermentation is to maximise bio-transformation of essential oils (this is also where bound thiols are released), and the late dry hop is for aroma. Not sure there’s much more I can do! 😂

That’s right. The mash hop is to preserve flavour and aroma, the whirlpool is to get loads of bound thiols in the wort, the dry hop at the start of fermentation is to maximise bio-transformation of essential oils (this is also where bound thiols are released), and the late dry hop is for aroma. Not sure there’s much more I can do! 😂
I would look at dry hop temps next if you are not happy with this result. I suspect you will be though. I might try the same next batch, thinking belgian IPA with mosaic and ekuanot.

After that maybe try out some of the lupulin products?

I would look at dry hop temps next if you are not happy with this result. I suspect you will be though. I might try the same next batch, thinking belgian IPA with mosaic and ekuanot.

After that maybe try out some of the lupulin products?
Yes, I have ferm temps in mind. I’ll be fermenting at the bottom end and once the final dry-hops go in, it’ll be reduced to 12C for the last couple of days, fitted with a CO2 balloon.

I’ve now built the recipes for my two explorative beers and given them what I hope will be appropriate names.

Pilgrim [A traveller on a journey to a holy place] is a beer that uses the science I’ve been looking at to try and produce a beer that is flavoursome and aromatic - my “holy place”.

Pathfinder [One that finds a new way] is based on Pilgrim but goes a step further to explore the potential for even more flavour and aroma from plants high in essential oils through bio-transformation. There’s no particular rationale for the amounts I’ve chosen to useI’m just starting with some numbers I feel comfortable with.

5A328C06-0C5A-465D-90D7-54CAF2F48D4B.jpeg

Tomorrow I plan to brew Pilgrim. I have the same feeling of nervous excitement I get as the roller-coaster, clacking up the ramp approaches the top…

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I’ve now built the recipes for my two explorative beers and given them what I hope will be appropriate names.

Pilgrim [A traveller on a journey to a holy place] is a beer that uses the science I’ve been looking at to try and produce a beer that is flavoursome and aromatic - my “holy place”.

Pathfinder [One that finds a new way] is based on Pilgrim but goes a step further to explore the potential for even more flavour and aroma from plants high in essential oils through bio-transformation. There’s no particular rationale for the amounts I’ve chosen to useI’m just starting with some numbers I feel comfortable with.

View attachment 50364

Tomorrow I plan to brew Pilgrim. I have the same feeling of nervous excitement I get as the roller-coaster, clacking up the ramp approaches the top…

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Your pathfinder recipe really is very interesting indeed, good names by the way too 🤩 I'm particularly interested to find out about the lemongrass!

Latest posts

Back