Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the weekend I’ve had feedback from @Hopsteep and from the LAB Black Friday Homebrew Competition.

The feedback from @Hopsteep was that my beers (Mild, Bitter, Stout) were thin, we’re over carbonated, and had a bitterness/aftertaste. Frustratingly this is not my experience serving the same beers from the keg so I need to get my head round this because it’s happened before, more than once, in competitions.

I’m wondering if by overcarbonating the beers I’m introducing excess carbonic acid and giving the beer a harsh bitterness. To test this idea I’m going to carbonate two bottles of the same beer (Mild) to different levels of carbonation.

Both of the 500ml bottles will be filled from the keg which is pressurised to 5psi and is stored at about 12C which should give me about 1.4 volumes of CO2. As I fill the bottles there is only atmospheric pressure so most of that CO2 will escape. As I cap the bottle I squeeze it to expel the last of the air in the head space (about 1cm). I need to add priming sugar to take up that head space and replace the CO2 lost from depressurisation. So in this trial…

One bottle will get 0.5g of sugar which I hope will just fill out the head space and replace the CO2 that escapes through bottling. The other bottle will get 2g of sugar which will most likely take me somewhere between 2 and 3 volumes. You’re welcome to do the maths for me ;)

Then in a couple of weeks I’ll provide feedback on the results. I’m hoping this will address the carbonation and bitterness issues, it may also address or reduce the issue of the beer being thin but I’m going to look into that further, maybe raise my mash temperature a couple of degrees and test the mash temperature with a thermometer rather than rely on my Inkbird.

Over the weekend I’ve had feedback from @Hopsteep and from the LAB Black Friday Homebrew Competition.

The feedback from @Hopsteep was that my beers (Mild, Bitter, Stout) were thin, we’re over carbonated, and had a bitterness/aftertaste. Frustratingly this is not my experience serving the same beers from the keg so I need to get my head round this because it’s happened before, more than once, in competitions.

I’m wondering if by overcarbonating the beers I’m introducing excess carbonic acid and giving the beer a harsh bitterness. To test this idea I’m going to carbonate two bottles of the same beer (Mild) to different levels of carbonation.

Both of the 500ml bottles will be filled from the keg which is pressurised to 5psi and is stored at about 12C which should give me about 1.4 volumes of CO2. As I fill the bottles there is only atmospheric pressure so most of that CO2 will escape. As I cap the bottle I squeeze it to expel the last of the air in the head space (about 1cm). I need to add priming sugar to take up that head space and replace the CO2 lost from depressurisation. So in this trial…

One bottle will get 0.5g of sugar which I hope will just fill out the head space and replace the CO2 that escapes through bottling. The other bottle will get 2g of sugar which will most likely take me somewhere between 2 and 3 volumes. You’re welcome to do the maths for me ;)

Then in a couple of weeks I’ll provide feedback on the results. I’m hoping this will address the carbonation and bitterness issues, it may also address or reduce the issue of the beer being thin but I’m going to look into that further, maybe raise my mash temperature a couple of degrees and test the mash temperature with a thermometer rather than rely on my Inkbird.
How did you get on in the LAB?

The bottles are done…

Start by sanitising everything and then measure out 5g of glucose.
722E8B68-73E9-4055-B7B0-6CEBBB17BD48.jpeg
4185AEB3-68F6-4435-9EDC-6B3E66F1D4EE.jpeg

Next add 10g (10ml) of boiling water to give me a sugar solution with 1g of sugar in 2ml of water. Using a syringe add 4ml to my first bottle.
60597360-3FA6-4F07-BF9F-A4A5421D613D.jpeg
403569CC-B26F-49D1-A2C8-E3D20D53AB71.jpeg

For the other bottle I want 0.5g of sugar. In my pot I currently have 3g in 6ml. I add a further 18ml of boiling water to give me 3g of sugar in 24ml of water and again using the syringe add 4ml of the solution.
A6219068-5796-40A4-80FB-28423B6E93E3.jpeg
69287D35-FE69-42CE-9794-409B05B4F27B.jpeg

Now it’s just a case of filling the bottles to about a cm from the top, squeezing out the air, and fitting the caps.
2EFD5B92-B326-4C0A-B14C-61C81E66E990.jpeg
E18BA3FF-007D-4AA2-99FD-BE8B256FF139.jpeg
5A30A755-9294-42C7-B892-DBA71C6C86DA.jpeg

I’ll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks…

How did you get on in the LAB?
Not bad I suppose for a first attempt at a Mild and given my appalling bottle carbonation record! Even for these bottles I had to bleed off some pressure by loosening the caps and the feedback was that it was still over-carbonated :mad:. I had two sheets, this is the one that had more useful feedback. The other guy marked me slightly lower so overall I was awarded 31 points. Not sure if you’ll be able to read it but we’ll see…

6E7D8A59-9E94-4690-B429-234E6EC10790.jpeg

Not bad I suppose for a first attempt at a Mild and given my appalling bottle carbonation record! Even for these bottles I had to bleed off some pressure by loosening the caps and the feedback was that it was still over-carbonated :mad:. I had two sheets, this is the one that had more useful feedback. The other guy marked me slightly lower so overall I was awarded 31 points. Not sure if you’ll be able to read it but we’ll see…

View attachment 58452
How are you bottling. 31 isn't bad for first attempt

For forum competitions you just ask the person judging that month to PM you their address so you can send your beers to them.

For national competitions you register on-line when the competition is advertised and nearer the time print off the labels for your bottles. Send them to the address by the due date. This is the web site got the one I entered as an example…

https://competitions.londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/blackfriday/entry

I’m just putting in too much sugar. I need to be more disciplined. In everything else I’m quite precise but bottling is like some kind of blind spot. I’m focused on it now so will give myself a kick up the ar5e.
Could you bottle from keg? Can highly recommend the tapcooler counter pressure filler

Not sure if you’ll agree but I’m thinking of keg carbonating with sugar and as temperature makes a massive difference, I’m considering connecting the inkbird and heater while it does so for more control.
There’s no reason why you shouldn’t but bottled CO2 isn’t particularly expensive.
Is there a particular reason you want to use secondary fermentation to carbonate your beer?

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t but bottled CO2 isn’t particularly expensive.
Is there a particular reason you want to use secondary fermentation to carbonate your beer?

we do use quite a lot of gas normally as I am so paranoid about oxygenation that I pressure transfer all beers no matter what style. So just trying to save money really.

Latest posts

Back