HBC Pilsner Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcunnell

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I just have a quick yeast question. I was going to order the HBC pilsner AG kit today - but it doesn't say what yeast it comes with. I've emailed them but no reply just yet (I am impatient!!) but I just wondered what your thoughts were on what yeast to use with this kit for best results. I would probably looking for a dry yeast I think (although my last AG brew was with a live yeast and worked okay).
I have not done an AG lager yet but have been keen to. And if I am honest I don't know if a pilsner is much different to a lager!? But my understanding is that lager should be fermented fairly cool (like 10-12 degrees?) and presumably this needs the right yeast.

I have a brew fridge which works nicely and to be fair I think its only ever been used for warming, rather than cooling! But obvioulsy the cooling function should work just as well. I am just keen to try it out!

So without rambling on any further, should I be looking to ferment a pilsner at cool temperature? Amd if so, what yeast would you guys suggest? I was looking at S-189 - is that any good for this style?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice!

A pilsner is a type of lager. A lot of generic lagers are just trying to copy the pilsner style so the name is used interchangeably sometimes.

In terms of yeast, I've used Saflager S-23 and W 34/70 a lot and they are both good yeasts. I find them both very clear and neutral and ferment out very well. Can't say I've had a stuck fermentation with either of them (although there are other factors at play of course). W 34/70 will need longer to ferment as it creates a lot of sulphur during fermentation and requires about a week to get rid of those flavours and smells.

If you do go for a dried yeast just remember to rehydrate it before use.

In my experience, these types of kits usually come with S-23. It's a pretty sturdy foolproof yeast. Never bought the HBC one so I can't say for sure.

Hi guys

I just have a quick yeast question. I was going to order the HBC pilsner AG kit today - but it doesn't say what yeast it comes with. I've emailed them but no reply just yet (I am impatient!!) but I just wondered what your thoughts were on what yeast to use with this kit for best results. I would probably looking for a dry yeast I think (although my last AG brew was with a live yeast and worked okay).
I have not done an AG lager yet but have been keen to. And if I am honest I don't know if a pilsner is much different to a lager!? But my understanding is that lager should be fermented fairly cool (like 10-12 degrees?) and presumably this needs the right yeast.

I have a brew fridge which works nicely and to be fair I think its only ever been used for warming, rather than cooling! But obvioulsy the cooling function should work just as well. I am just keen to try it out!

So without rambling on any further, should I be looking to ferment a pilsner at cool temperature? Amd if so, what yeast would you guys suggest? I was looking at S-189 - is that any good for this style?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice!

please remember that a liquid yeast kit can be damaged heavily by differing temps so if you have a solution that is sent in the sumer months it could partially if not more so killed off by the intense heat!!!:doh:

Back