Heat pad help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will any temperature controller do
TBH, I'm far from being an expert on brewing automation - I just used what I had at hand, in the form of the obsolete Grainfather controller. Gather other opinions if you can, but it looks to me like the Inkbird 308S would do the job, and handle cooling too if and when you want to add that. There's one here. Other controllers and resellers are available: I have no affiliations!

There's also the STC1000 temp controller module if you fancy a diy project!

Thanks
Anything to get me going
I bought a job lot and have 5 lagers that are out of date 2015
But I will change the yeast and possibly add hops
And have a in date brown ale ready to set of
But the wife only lets me do one at a time in the house at room temp
Altogether I have 2 fvs and 4 pbs
But am going to try and do a fermentation in a Pb
I also have a big shed where everything will be done
But it is way to cold at the moment
So may try the fridge option

let me know how much you want for any of the thermostats please
Am on a very tight budget at the moment

thanks again

đź‘Ť

let me know how much you want for any of the thermostats please
Err - Slight misunderstanding: I don't actually sell them, nor anything else for that matter! Where I said in my previous post - "There's one here " - the "here" is a hyperlink to a shop that sells them. I guess the blue hyperlink doesn't show too well against the green'ish background!

Thanks for that
I have just switched it off

am still no further forward with the above pic of the heat mat though off eBay and the other
I used one of those heat mats for my very first ferment recently, i sat my fv on a frame about half inch off the mat and put a cardboard box over the whole fv with a hole cut out to see the airlock and one for the temp gauge so I didn’t have to disturb it at all and put an old duvet over the whole thing at night i used one of those timer plugs to turn the heat mat on and off as i found it too warm to be on all the time. It kept the temp at a steady 20-22° for the first week. I have since set up a fridge with an inkbird 308 and I’m using the heat mat in the bottom to keep my first barrel at 19° for a week or 2.

Here's my set up. I have a brew2bottle 25w heat pad. I am brewing in the shed. It's currently about 8C in the shed. The bucket is about 20C so maybe a tad too high. It's a Wilko Newky brown kit.

I have a wooden base, actually the top of one of those ÂŁ6 IKEA tables so not proper wood but that probably makes it better for insulation. Above that is about half inch of foam board and then the pad and bucket is wrapped with a hot water tank jacket.

I have it plugged into a timer switch so it cycles on/off throughout the day. I adjust as needed. Cost ÂŁ4 in Wilko. IMG_20201205_151949.jpgIMG_20201205_152031.jpg

I have a Wilko heat pad which i leave on all the time during fermentation it maxes out at 28c in my unheated kitchen so for me its not a problem but beer brewers would need a means of controlling the temperature.

1607182933894.png

Just out of curiosity are the reptile heat pads ok to use with a thermostat?

Just out of curiosity are the reptile heat pads ok to use with a thermostat?
I have a reptile heat pad in my fridge with a inkbird 308 thermostat to regulate the temp and it’s holding nicely at 19°C.

Also looked at his with thermostat 🤔

Attachments

• A96077E6-F709-4BFA-9423-D26497EAA866.png
    A96077E6-F709-4BFA-9423-D26497EAA866.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 61
Cheers for that lads

have got a large pad which I am going to use to try and heat 2 fvs at once with a temp control
Then a medium and a small one
Not sure about them yet
Going to make a fermenting box or cupboard in the shed
Will post pics when done and the weather picks up a bit

Attachments

• EF59465B-279E-4785-AD47-135D1B1F71AA.jpeg
    EF59465B-279E-4785-AD47-135D1B1F71AA.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 46
Have just managed to get around to trying my reptile heat mats
I have 3 but when I plug them in and leave them for about 30 minutes or so they are still cold
Do I have to put something on top of them to work ?

It’s not heating up
Or does it take a while to heat up

cheers chippy

Latest posts

Back