Hello all!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Mike

Reaction score
Brewed up my first kit yesterday after lots of research on here so already a big thank you to everyone! There's so much information to be had here!
So i started with the Wilko Chocmeister stout kit. I've not messed with it in any way, just followed the instructions for my first time. Already itching to get on with some of the recipes i've seen on here though!

Thanks for the welcome! Beer seems to be fermenting nicely and the water bath staying at a steady temperature. Made one, possibly two, mistakes! I hadn't clipped the cap onto the air lock properly and i also only put filtered water in the airlock (not sanitiser/alcohol). The cap didn't come off it was just resting on top. I've since clipped it on properly. Do you think the beer will be ok?
That aside i'm very much enjoying the experience so far! Exciting when you see those bubbles appearing clapa

Its one of those 'cup' style airlocks. Been having a Google and it appears there should also be a small plastic cap that goes inside but it didn't come with the kit (or i've misplaced it). Suggestions seem to be using a small bit of sanitised tin foil as a replacement so will try that when i get home later unless you can suggest something else? I'll get a replacement airlock for my next batch!

Do you mean this type?

You could make a blow off tube, here is how - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-make-a-blow-off-tube.48970/

If you are using the type below you may be able to get the syphon tube to fit over the inside tube in the airlock below by heating it in boiling water.

upload_2019-2-22_17-3-26.jpeg

I've gotten myself confused by Googling. What you've posted is spot on. I was looking at pictures like this and thinking i had that extra cap that goes inside missing.
0195_3-Piece_Airlock.jpg

I can see now that mine is built in.

Good old google. :laugh8:

I've gotten myself confused by Googling. What you've posted is spot on. I was looking at pictures like this and thinking i had that extra cap that goes inside missing.
0195_3-Piece_Airlock.jpg

I can see now that mine is built in.

Hey, Stout Mike. Brewing's supposed to be a joy and a pleasure, not a chore. You recognised what you could have done better and you'll avoid the pitfalls next time. There's a better than 99% chance your beer'll be fine anyway. Take a tip from Randy Mosher's book- the maddest and funniest brewer I've yet encountered: "Don't worry. Pour yourself a pint!" (Actually it was pour yourself a homebrew, but as it's your first batch you'll need to get a few reserves in).
Welcome to the highest craft a man (/ woman, / child, unclassified sentient being) can be called to.

Amen to that! acheers.
Luckily i have some purchased bottles in my beer fridge to keep me going until my first successful batch!
If that was my only mistake on the first try i'll be happy!
Already enjoying it and wondering why i didn't start sooner!
I've ordered the Greg Hughes book as it kept popping up during my research, is it worth picking up the Randy Mosher book too?

Greg Hughes provides a fine grounding, you won't go far wrong with Greg. Mosher is steeped in the American homebrew tradition (to which we owe loads) but they use different measurements- their gallon is different to ours, their home grown malts work slighlty differently and Mosher I'm sure, would try to make a brew out of magic mushrooms and potato peelings if he had thought of it. An excellent read, but cut your teeth on Greg Hughes or similar, would be my advice.

Hi @Stout Mike , my cider blew that cap straight off when it was fermenting!, I use the bubbler type airlock now as I think they're easier to top up if you need to during fermentation.ps your beer will be fine,this is a great forum with great advice from many experienced brewers( and novices like me)

Latest posts

Back