Hello, complete beginner in North Wales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skello

DMT changed my life
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Complete novice here just starting out on the HB journey. I know I will have many questions and I have already been digesting the beginner guides.

I started my first kit today (which was a Christmas present) as I had been thinking about starting for a while. My OH gave me the kick up the rear end I needed.

Cheers

Thanks, RichardM. It’s the St Peter’s IPA kit and the equipment was from a place called Bigger Jugs. It is the basic kit but from reading on here that’s all I need for now :)

Edit: Just realised I should have hit reply not quote! Haha

Hello and welcome @Skello .
There's a lot of us in North Wales on here it seems.
I'm just down the road from you ;)

Welcome Skello, your OH has put you on a slippery slope :)
Now for the hardest part when you first start brewing....waiting.
There are some very knowledgable people on here, dont be afraid to ask, remember there is never a silly question.

Thank you. It has started to ferment (thank goodness!) which I was worried it may not, so I didn’t kill the yeast! Haha
Remember the human race has been brewing beer for over 10,000 years

It's harder to mess up than you might imagine

Just relax and enjoy the hobby and the fruits of your labour

Welcome Skello, your OH has put you on a slippery slope :)
Now for the hardest part when you first start brewing....waiting.
There are some very knowledgable people on here, dont be afraid to ask, remember there is never a silly question.
Is it normal to keep checking on the FV, just to make sure it’s still ok? I’m doing that a lot hahaha

Is it normal to keep checking on the FV, just to make sure it’s still ok? I’m doing that a lot hahaha
It's perfectly normal to want to, but every time you open the lid, you open your beer to the risk of infection. If you run some off through the tap and into a trial jar, you have to throw that away or drink it so you're reducing the volume. It's best to wait until your fermentation appears to have finished (eg no more bubbles coming throw the air lock) take a reading, wait three days and take another reading. if both FGs are the same, you're safe to cold crash and bottle.
As @chillipickle said: the hardest part is the waiting.

Back