Hello! I'm new here and will need help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing LB you will get loads of advise on this forum some will be conflicting and may confuse you so read between the lines when that happens and take the advise of the majority. I am not saying they are wrong but more advanced brewers try new things and swear by them as they are the "latest thing to do" but not always suitable until you have more experience so stick to basics and you will be okathumb..

One thing LB you will get loads of advise on this forum some will be conflicting and may confuse you so read between the lines when that happens and take the advise of the majority. I am not saying they are wrong but more advanced brewers try new things and swear by them as they are the "latest thing to do" but not always suitable until you have more experience so stick to basics and you will be okathumb..
Thanks, and understood 🙂

I can also give the thumbs up to the Greg Hughes book, it is a great starting point, as you like Porters I can thoroughly recommend the Brown Porter in that book, I have made it many times and it is always great, I regularly get asked to make it again.

I am easily confused!!

I can also give the thumbs up to the Greg Hughes book, it is a great starting point, as you like Porters I can thoroughly recommend the Brown Porter in that book, I have made it many times and it is always great, I regularly get asked to make it again.
Thanks for that. I'll check out the brown porter as soon as the book arrives.

All pretty good recipes in that book - its called the "Bible" amongst us brewers and you'll soon find out why

I love stouts and porters and they are much easier (in my opinion) than some of the other brews I've made - maybe I'm just not so good at brewing . . . yet.

If you are bottling (which would be cheaper than getting all that is required for kegging) I would recommend you don't bother with the lever type capper, spend another £3 and get a bench capper. Attach to a small offcut of wood and you can then store it where you like.

Good luck

I love stouts and porters and they are much easier (in my opinion) than some of the other brews I've made - maybe I'm just not so good at brewing . . . yet.

If you are bottling (which would be cheaper than getting all that is required for kegging) I would recommend you don't bother with the lever type capper, spend another £3 and get a bench capper. Attach to a small offcut of wood and you can then store it where you like.

Good luck
Thank you. Sounds like good advice. I will add a bench capper to my order.

Welcome to the forum! Just mirroring what others have said, it's a great place and a massive resource for you to peruse. No question is stupid one, we are all continuing to learn, and you will get great advice from here.

Hi and welcome to the forum.By the sounds of it you're already well on your way as you seem to have the basics under control with a few kits and stovetop brewing so everything else is just bulking up but keep it simple is always best at first as many of us have jumped in at the deep end and although we could already swim we may have had to go back to the shallow end to get our bearings.
Good luck going forward and get your stout on followed by an easy drinking SMaSH as this will condition first giving you time reep your rewards....

Welcome to the forum! Just mirroring what others have said, it's a great place and a massive resource for you to peruse. No question is stupid one, we are all continuing to learn, and you will get great advice from here.
Thank you. I am sure I will push the boundary between what is and what isn't a stupid question!

Hi and welcome to the forum.By the sounds of it you're already well on your way as you seem to have the basics under control with a few kits and stovetop brewing so everything else is just bulking up but keep it simple is always best at first as many of us have jumped in at the deep end and although we could already swim we may have had to go back to the shallow end to get our bearings.
Good luck going forward and get your stout on followed by an easy drinking SMaSH as this will condition first giving you time reep your rewards....
Thanks Gerry. Good idea re the order of production!

The Greg Hughes Home Bew Beer and CAMRA Brew Your Own British Real Ale books have lots of recipes and other information on brewing. Either or both are a worthwhile investment.
For ingredients it may be worth while going round the online homebrew shops to see what the postage charges are as it may be better to buy a large single order rather than a lot of little ones. It may also be worth looking at getting a grain mill so as you can but whole malt as this will last longer than pre-crushed.
The Greg Hughes book arrived on Friday and I've hardly put it down since. Lots of great information and very nicely presented. Thank you for the recommendation!

The Greg Hughes book arrived on Friday and I've hardly put it down since. Lots of great information and very nicely presented. Thank you for the recommendation!

Glad you like it. acheers.
You can use the base malt recipes to create something new with different hops. Although some brewing software is handy here to get the IBUs correct.

Excellent stuff. Well you now know more than most of us and you're 20 days in. What have you brewed or are planning to brew?
It's like learning to drive. That's the theory bit done. :beer1:

Welcome to the forum, I can recommend Get er brewed or Malt Miller for all grain stuff or Brew 2 Bottle for kits. You can use Corny kegs without C02 as you just add the desired sugar/dextrose to carb the beer as you would in bottles. Good luck with your brewing journey.

Latest posts

Back