Hello!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oggy_chomper

Reaction score
Good day all, another new members first post although I have been lurking for a while.
I am planning to resume Brewing after nearly Twenty years absence, due to offspring requiring the use of the brewing room ( spare bedroom).
I have had a scout round and the only equiptment that has survived intact is hydrometer+ glass trial jar, my trusty old Boots immersion heater and a hit with a hammer crown capper.
Right Gents/ladies I am looking to buy a complete starter kit, is the Balliihoo kit ok or perhaps another make? are there any out there which are to be avoided?
I ask because I had a look in the window of my local Homebrew shop and they had a basic starter kit for not very much I can't remember the price but it looked very poor quality, the F V looked almost see through!
Things seem to be a bit different nowadays, my old F V had no vent or a tap!

I have got loads of questions which I'm sure will be asked over the next few months, just awaiting permission from the supreme purse watcher to allow me to spend.
Thanks for allowing me to become a member of this great Forum, I have spent many hours over the past months reading the posts...

Dave....

Hi, welcome to the forum :drink:

There are a lot of different starter kits around, but they all offer essentially the same thing

A lot of FV's are quite thin now, but they still do the job. As for the need for a tap and air lock, they are readily debated.

I like a tap in an FV as it makes racking off easier than using a syphon, but they do tend to be great places to harbour an infection so require extra cleaning. Some people don't like taps.

As for airlocks, some people insist on them, personally I don't use them as my FV's are not airtight so it's a waste of time.

One of the site sponsors does some starter kits here

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/ind ... ex&cPath=4

Or another site does them as well

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... _Kits.html

I have no experience of either of the kits, but both the companies are good to deal with.

Welcome to the forum oggy. Lots of knowledge, advice and fun here. :D
Regarding spending, could you not use the ladies trick, that is when you notice a new dress and say is that new, they say no, I've had this for ages. Could work with brewing kit, but don't talk my advice, could go horribly wrong. :(
Glad you are out of the dark, there are quite a few forum stalkers out there. :lol:
S

Latest posts

Back