Hello!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_Stu

Reaction score
Hello all,

Its a great forum you have here, I've been lurking and reading for a month or so now, steadily gathering information before taking the plunge and brewing my first ever batch of beer.

Well, the kit finally arrived today and I've dived right in - once all the jobs were done, kids were in bed and wife happy to let me play for a while of course :)

I've gone for a kit from an on-line shop that implies its clever - not sure about mentioning other suppliers so I'll leave it at that! I wanted an FV with a bottom tap and they were competitively priced and bundled with a bottling starter kit and a tin of Coopers Canadian Blonde. I like light beers such as lagers, blondes, wheats and summer ales etc. I'm not tough enough for the dark stuff yet.

It seems to have gone well enough tonight. No major hiccups along the way but one or two minor concerns / questions if you don't mind.

I put in about 23.5l instead of the 23 specified - major problem or just slightly weaker beer? (My FV is 30l)

My pitching temp was down to 18 degrees - according to the instructions it was best not to mess about just get it pitched and avoid infection. I did so and have whacked the brew belt on straight away to get it up to 22 degrees - is this likely to be ok?

How on earth do you read a hydrometer? I don't have bad eyesight but the best I could tell about my SG was it was in the red at about 105. I cant imagine how I would tell exactly 104.2... Incidentally, I assume I just move the decimal point to make that 1.050?

Lastly, do I leave the little red cap on top of the airlock bubbler? It doesn't seem to be a tight enough fit to be airtight but I imagine it would keep unwanted things out?

That's about it, hope its ok to combine my intro post with a load of questions!

Thanks all, hope this turns out as good as I hope - my birthday is in June and 40 odd bottles of beer seems like the ideal self pressie :cheers:

Stu

Disco_Stu said:
Hello all,

Hi!

Disco_Stu said:
I put in about 23.5l instead of the 23 specified - major problem or just slightly weaker beer? (My FV is 30l)

Total of 23.5l or you added 23.5l? The former won't make a huge difference, the latter will leave you with quite weak beer.

Disco_Stu said:
My pitching temp was down to 18 degrees - according to the instructions it was best not to mess about just get it pitched and avoid infection. I did so and have whacked the brew belt on straight away to get it up to 22 degrees - is this likely to be ok?

18 is good! If it's stable at 18 without the belt, leave it off. Coolish is best for ales.

Disco_Stu said:
How on earth do you read a hydrometer? I don't have bad eyesight but the best I could tell about my SG was it was in the red at about 105. I cant imagine how I would tell exactly 104.2... Incidentally, I assume I just move the decimal point to make that 1.050?

I would say you've got 1.050

Disco_Stu said:
Lastly, do I leave the little red cap on top of the airlock bubbler? It doesn't seem to be a tight enough fit to be airtight but I imagine it would keep unwanted things out?

One of these?

206087-2.jpg

1.040 is about right for a Coopers kit and that's the floaty end of the red bit. :thumb:

Disco_Stu said:
That's about it, hope its ok to combine my intro post with a load of questions!

It's all good. :)

Disco_Stu said:
Thanks all, hope this turns out as good as I hope - my birthday is in June and 40 odd bottles of beer seems like the ideal self pressie :cheers:

Stu

Well take your time with it and you will get your rewards. :cheers:

Hi and welcome. It may seem complicated at the moment but stick with it the rewards are great. :thumb:

Thanks chaps!

23.5 total so hopefully not too bad!

I'll keep an eye on the temps without the belt on - thanks!

Oddly, as soon as I looked at you picture I understood! It was bang on 104, I was reading the other side... :oops:

Thanks again, i can go to bed reassured now, hehe.

Stu.

Latest posts

Back