Helloha

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Buddah

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals.
New to all grain, made my first batch saturday whilst drinking so one or two mistakes. :roll:
Made my own equipment from 60ltr stainless kegs works fine need a pump and malt crusher next
Anyways, blabbing here.
From Dublin and look forward to chatting. :cheers: :cheers:

Hi, Beer Buddah.

This is definitely the place to be if you seek brewing enlightenment.

Incidentally, when I'm in Dublin, I drink in the Porterhouse or Messrs Maguires. Decent microbreweries those.

I love the porterhouse. Did you try hop head ?
:drink: Its amazing, such a strong hop smell lol as per name !
Hope to find out that recipe.

Beer Buddah said:
I love the porterhouse. Did you try hop head ?
:drink: Its amazing, such a strong hop smell lol as per name !
Hope to find out that recipe.

"So hoppy, it hurts..."

I'll ask Liam (the managing director of Porterhouse Brewco) and see if I can find out for you. I think my favourite of their beers is the old-fashioned stout, Wrassler's XXXX, but Hophead is a great summer drink. I last had some a couple of years ago when sitting out in the back garden at Porterhouse North up at Cross Guns Bridge, after spending a few hours wandering around the Botanic Gardens with the missus (she's into trees and stuff like that).

I was in the Porterhouse at Temple Bar on Paddy's Day last month drinking Belgian lambic beers (Boon Gueuze Mariage Parfait is my favourite).

A couple of Easters ago the missus and I did a Porterhouse pub crawl. We got a bus from Bristol to London, had a pint (and a trip around the cellars) at Porterhouse Covent Garden then caught a flight from Heathrow to Dublin. We made our way to Porterhouse North - a pint there - then on to Temple Bar for (you guessed it - another pint) before stopping off at Porterhouse Central (hic) where we had more beer and a meal. Finally the bus out to Bray where, after more beer, we stopped for a few days at the Porterhouse Inn. As far as I know, we are the only people to ever visit all five Porterhouse pubs on the same day.

You could say that I'm a fan.

OK, just need the proportions, mashing schedule and hopping schedule now....

Grain: Pale Ale Malt, Crystal Malt, Wheat Malt, Black Malt.
Hops: Pilgrim (UK), Nuggett(US), Cascade(US), Hallertau Northern Brewer(Germany).

Edit:

The information on the PH website seems to contradict what's on the beer label...

smallaverybrowndredgeapril2011-1097.jpg

The label has Centennial and not Northern Brewer

A fan for sure, i guess its a kinda mecca for home brewers. My fiancee and i did a trip around europe in a old xj8 jag 2 years ago purely for beer and ww2 sites i soooo love the german beer or maybe its the girlks serving them in those dresses ( darndells ) blonde hair and pony tails. So many good memories :pray:

Sorry, dreaming there wow that would be amazing to make hophead all my mates love it. Only 1 all grain under the belt but i defo wanna try that cheers for the help Might buy ye a pint next paddys in porterhouse :drunk:

That'd be grand - we come over to Dub a couple of times a year (I've worked there for 5 of the last 10 years at Irish Life and Hibernian).

I've dropped Liam an email to see if I can twist the recipe (or at least a few more hints) out of him.

I'm not totally obsessed with the Porterhouse - I go in Messrs Maguires too.

Beer Buddah said:
So a few times a year, you must have visited the work place so ? Home of the black stuff !

The day after we did the Porterhouse Pub Crawl, we were taken on a trip around the Porterhouse brewery. Strangely enough, it is still the only brewery I have ever visited in Ireland. I keep meaning to go on the Guinness brewery trip, but somehow we always seem to find something else to do (which also usually includes drinking).

The storehouse tour is good but you don't get to see the real factory. I think once a year a VIP tour is organised for employee friends n family around october i think. Get to walk the whole brewery. Who knows if you around in october !

Beer Buddah said:
The storehouse tour is good but you don't get to see the real factory. I think once a year a VIP tour is organised for employee friends n family around october i think. Get to walk the whole brewery. Who knows if you around in october !

:cheers:

We usually come over for a week in October - Porterhouse Oktoberfest and the festival down at the IFSC. Assuming I'm in work and can afford it, we'll definitely be coming over.

Beer Buddah said:

I was a bit disapointed with the storehouse tour, thought it was more for tourist rather than people with a real intrest in brewing. Really enjoyed the pint and the veiw from the bar at the end though.

I love the Octoberfest at the IFSC. :party: :party:

When info about the tour is announced i will let you know. Think its 4 people per employee and tour groups of 12.

It is gear'd towards tourist for sure Dennis ,but ye the view is good!! Pity there are not any kinda tours the public can do around the plant then you would be all smiles. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back