Help/advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buffer - if I've imagined how you done it right that sink method has a flaw. The bottle is above the level of the water meaning it'll have to do work to raise the water making a small pressure difference difficult to see. An easier way to see the result is fill the bottle as much as you would have, squeeze out the air to the top of the bottle (just air in the pipe) with the end of the pipe in a glass of water so you see bubbles, then release and wait for any drawback of water. Doesn't have to go right back to the bottle, just be drawn into the pipe.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter of course, because knowing the bottle will expand there will have been a net pressure loss due to that anyway.

Buffer - if I've imagined how you done it right that sink method has a flaw. The bottle is above the level of the water meaning it'll have to do work to raise the water making a small pressure difference difficult to see. An easier way to see the result is fill the bottle as much as you would have, squeeze out the air to the top of the bottle (just air in the pipe) with the end of the pipe in a glass of water so you see bubbles, then release and wait for any drawback of water. Doesn't have to go right back to the bottle, just be drawn into the pipe.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter of course, because knowing the bottle will expand there will have been a net pressure loss due to that anyway.
IMG_20210222_171019243.jpg

Now to fry your noodle. You’ve filled the headspace with CO2 - what about the pressure?
At that point the calculation will be the same as an unsqueezed bottle which is pretty straightforward, I was just curious what the difference was in practical terms. Turns out there's bugger all difference, which is one of the most interesting things I've seen on this forum recently :laugh8: Also apologies to the OP for sidetracking the thread.

At that point the calculation will be the same as an unsqueezed bottle which is pretty straightforward, I was just curious what the difference was in practical terms. Turns out there's bugger all difference, which is one of the most interesting things I've seen on this forum recently :laugh8: Also apologies to the OP for sidetracking the thread.

I came to the same outcome so we’ll call that settled! 😉

Back