Help: I think I've made a monster...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipso77

Reaction score
Just finished my 4th AG run today. Thanks to all you good people on THBF for the recipes and advice on your various threads (Not that I've been actively involved much, I'm a bit of a lurker :twisted: ).

Tried to make a Fullers ESB clone to a recipe that Dave1970, on this site, has used:

Aiming for 23 litres

Grains
Maris Otter 5.6kg 85.5%
Crystal Malt 0.6 kg 9.16%
Wheat Malt 0.35 kg 5.34%

Hops
90 mins
Challenger 9g
Northdown 9g
Target 15g
10 Mins
EKG 12 g

I think my kitchen scales, which are reasonably accurate up to a kilo or so, didn't like my attempt to weigh out 4kg of Maris Otter in one hit. Did notice that the mash tun seemed a bit more full than usual, seems like more went in than planned, final SG after the boil was 1.078 :shock:

Ummed and arred for a bit, looking at 19L or so of chilled wort, trying to decide whether I should add some more hops or up/change the yeast to deal with the unexpectedly high OG.

Decided to proceed as planned and tipped in one sachet of Nottingham yeast hydrated as per packet instructions. Less than hour later and just heard the first bubble.

So my questions are:

1) Is Nottingham an appropriate yeast for such a beer and have I pitched enough yeast?

2) Will Nottingham ferment to usual expected FG of 1.008 in this case (as if so my baby's gonna be 9.3%)?

3) Should I add any hops, or anything else?

4) Having heard my baby's first coughs and bubblings, I'm already feeling fiercely protective of something that can only wreak future havoc on me, family, friends and wider society. Should I be? Should I? :?

I normally get down to 1016 with Nottingham, 1008 seems quite low for an ale yeast.
When the beer is fermented you could thin it down with water before you keg or bottle..

BB

I've just used Gervin Ale yeast,which is Notty AFAAIK,in my 1.066 Mocha porter,which took 2 days to get down to 1020,and usually goes to 1.014 for me,so you should be OK.
Ian

Thanks chaps, think I got the 1.008 figure off their website, advertising blurb has got me again.

If it goes to 10.16, it'll end up at 8.2%, not quite so pokey...

dipso77 said:
Thanks chaps, think I got the 1.008 figure off their website, advertising blurb has got me again.

If it goes to 10.16, it'll end up at 8.2%, not quite so pokey...
Might be an idea to split the brew when fermented, bottle some as rocket fuel and leave for 6 -12 months, thin some down and drink in 4 weeks.

BB

Latest posts

Back