HELP Second brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectbrew

Reaction score
1x can Coopers liquid light malt
1kg dry wheat malt
300grams dex
5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt
5g Galaxy @ 30 mins
15g galaxy @ 15 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 0 mins
US05 yeast
Made to 23 litres.
Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

Could someone please help me out here, this is my second brew and i was wondering could they give me step by step instructions for this recipe?

Boil 5ltr water in a stockpot.
Add 500g wheat malt.
Start a timer and add 5g Galaxy to the boil.
When timer reaches 15min, add the next 15g.
When timer reaches 25min, add the next 15g.
When timer reaches 30min, turn the heat off and add the last 15g. Stir (with sterilized spoon) in the other 500g wheat malt and 300g dextrose until dissolved. Cover and leave for 30min to steep.

Pour the wort through a sterilized sieve into the FV to get rid of all of the hops and stir in the Coopers tin. Top up with water to 23ltr mark. Temp should be below 23c by this point, sprinkle yeast on top (I wouldn't bother stirring) and put lid on. Aim to ferment at 20c.

Ignore the instructions and leave for 7 days before dry hopping, bottle on day 14 (as long as it's finished fermenting and gravity hasn't changed for 3 days).

Hope this helps.

Hi Hops and dreams,
Thanks for the reply, so is it a 30min boil? I think I messed up as I got this message after attempting the brew. I boiled for 60mins adding the first 5g from then and 15g at 30mins etc. Also I added the can of lME at the start of boil along with 500g DME. I guess il have to wait and see what the outcome is?

Hi mate.

Yeah sounds like a 30mins boil. It will turn out more bitter than expected. Do you know what AA% (alpha acid) the hops were? We can work out the bitterness if you do. You've not used loads of hops, so it won't be unpleasant.

So, assuming you did this (if it was different, let me know):

5g 60min
15g 30mins
15g 5min
15g 0min

I make that 56 IBU. That's quite bitter, but along the lines of an IPA.

Do you know what the starting gravity was?

yea that was boil i did. The gravity reading was 1.050. Once i get it bottled im going to redo the recipe. i have taken a gravity reading today to see how the fermentation is progressing and its at 1.018.

Ah yeah that's fine then, about right for OG to IBU ratio for an IPA.

Beers that I think I've cocked up a bit normally turn out the best!

Latest posts

Back