Help with Malt alternative please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I want to brew a bells two hearted ale Clone but I'm a having a few problems with the grain. The recipe calls for 5kg Best malz pale ale(6ebc). And 980g castlemalts Chateau Vienna (5.5 ebc). The problem is I can't get any Chateau Vienna. Would it be a problem if I just used another 980g Best malz pale ale instead. After all aren't they virtually the same ebc? Or have I misunderstood it. Cheers.

Are you sure you have the EBC right? Vienna is usually about 8 or 9. You’d be better using a different brand’s Vienna malt than substituting the Vienna for more pale malt.

My Two-hearted clone (Half-hearted) is just 4.9kg of pale malt and .45kg of crystal 40. I've used Maris Otter and I've used a wide variety of American 2-row pale malts with great success. It's SO hop forward with centennial hops that malt really takes a back seat.

Are you sure you have the EBC right? Vienna is usually about 8 or 9. You’d be better using a different brand’s Vienna malt than substituting the Vienna for more pale malt.
Hi, thanks for your help. I've just rechecked on the castle malting website and it says chateau Vienna ebc 4.0-7.0. I did try and get another brand but the shop I bought from didn't stock any alternatives. I've gone and ordered all pale malt now. Do you think it will change the beer a lot? Cheers.

Hi, thanks for your help. I've just rechecked on the castle malting website and it says chateau Vienna ebc 4.0-7.0. I did try and get another brand but the shop I bought from didn't stock any alternatives. I've gone and ordered all pale malt now. Do you think it will change the beer a lot? Cheers.
If what @phettebs says above, the beer is very hip dominant so it shouldn’t make a major difference. 20% Vienna will give it a little bit of extra body and a very slight grainy/breadiness to the malt. In a small quantity like that in a very hop forward beer you probably won’t see a significant difference.

My Two-hearted clone (Half-hearted) is just 4.9kg of pale malt and .45kg of crystal 40. I've used Maris Otter and I've used a wide variety of American 2-row pale malts with great success. It's SO hop forward with centennial hops that malt really takes a back seat.
Hi here's the recipe in using on brewfather. I've replaced the chateau Vienna with the pale ale now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-152431_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-152431_Brewfather.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 50
If what @phettebs says above, the beer is very hip dominant so it shouldn’t make a major difference. 20% Vienna will give it a little bit of extra body and a very slight grainy/breadiness to the malt. In a small quantity like that in a very hop forward beer you probably won’t see a significant difference.
OK thanks for that. I'm still getting used to all grain. Especially when Ive got to chop and change things. Cheers.

Château malts can be weird. Their Vienna is lighter than their pale ale malt and you don't even want to look at their cara gold, which is 120 ebc compared with Crisp's, which is about 14!

Château malts can be weird. Their Vienna is lighter than their pale ale malt and you don't even want to look at their cara gold, which is 120 ebc compared with Crisp's, which is about 14!
I’ll stick to good old reliable Crisp, Weyermann and Crafty then I think.

OK thanks for that. I'm still getting used to all grain. Especially when Ive got to chop and change things. Cheers.
No worries. We all went through this. I look back at some of my early recipes I created and they were a veritable malt-soup of different grains I thought I needed. Time and experience and personal preference will carry the day! I'm sure it will turn out great. 2 hearted is one of my all time faves.

No worries. We all went through this. I look back at some of my early recipes I created and they were a veritable malt-soup of different grains I thought I needed. Time and experience and personal preference will carry the day! I'm sure it will turn out great. 2 hearted is one of my all time faves.
Cheers im looking forward to it. I've never had the original but I like the sound of it. Take it easy.

Well I'd never heard of it until I did a bit of googling, and American IPA didn't bode well. But now I see that it's hopped with 100% Centennial, I'm going to be looking into this one. I love Centennial.

Just been looking for some recipes. I didn't find one that calls for Château Vienna malt!

Last edited:
Well I'd never heard of it until I did a bit of googling, and American IPA didn't bode well. But now I see that it's hopped with 100% Centennial, I'm going to be looking into this one. I love Centennial.

Just been looking for some recipes. I didn't find one that calls for Château Vienna malt!
Hi, its on brewfather. There's 3 or 4 different bells two hearted ale recipes all with different ingredients. I chose the one im using because I could get most of the grain in the shop I use. Cheers

Bells Brewery is in the next state over from me and they make some great beers. My parents grow centennial and cascade hops so I love to brew my half hearted IPA using home grown hops. I don't remember how I came up with the recipe of just pale and C40 but I do remember doing research to try to get as close as possible to what Bells do with 2 hearted.

Bells Brewery is in the next state over from me and they make some great beers. My parents grow centennial and cascade hops so I love to brew my half hearted IPA using home grown hops. I don't remember how I came up with the recipe of just pale and C40 but I do remember doing research to try to get as close as possible to what Bells do with 2 hearted.
That's cool. A never ending supply of fresh hops. How much hops do you use.? The recipe im following is about 190g altogether. Including 100g dry hop. Cheers

Latest posts

Back