Hi from Liverpool

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwaza101

Reaction score
Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Paul and new to homebrewing (so new I haven't even brewed my first batch yet) got a Wilkinsons starter set for Christmas but need to modify the fermenting bucket and get a few bits and bobs before I can start. Looking forward to getting stuck in and getting tips and advice from your good selves.

Welcome aboard mate! Just remember, the only daft question is the one that isn't asked!

Paul
I'm curious.
What is there to modify about a fermenting vessel (FV)?
Otherwise welcome :hat:
And you might find this useful if you are starting on kits
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526
Hi, the fv lid doesn't have a hole for an airlock, the box just says to place the lid loosely on top of the fv. I'm just worried about any contamination so I'm going to drill a hole in the lid and buy a grommet and airlock.

Hi terrym, just read your thread "Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit" thanks, I was worrying about timings and things to look for. I'm sure I'll be reading it over and over everytime I'm making a batch.

Hi, the fv lid doesn't have a hole for an airlock, the box just says to place the lid loosely on top of the fv. I'm just worried about any contamination so I'm going to drill a hole in the lid and buy a grommet and airlock.
Air locks on FV lids are not essential, some people use them, others don't bother. They are useful to give you an indication of how the fermentation is progressing, but that relies on the FV lid seal being leak proof which many are not. I never bothered with an airlock years ago and also when I first restarted brewing last year, all I did was fit the lid and just crack it open to release the fermentation gas, and I never had a bad brew. I do use a lock now however, but both my FVs and their lids leak, so to ensure a seal I put cling film over the top edge of the FV when the primary has died down and then reseat the lid. You are only likely to let nasties into your brew if you repeatedly take the lid off to see how the brew going on, or leave the lid off completely for a long time.

Hi Paul. I'm also from Liverpool & a newbie to brewing too. Loads of good info on the forums here. Good luck with your brew!

Hi Paul
Another newbie from Liverpool here. My first brew is fizzing away nicely (day 5 in FV).
I got the Coopers Starter Kit which doesn't have an airlock and it's seems to be working fine.
I would give your kit a go as it is but I'm rubbish with tools and would be worried that I'd drill the hole too big or crack the lid something.
Good luck whatever you decide.:thumb:

Mago.

Back