Hi from Telford

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si Edwards

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a complete beginner to homebrew and have recently started my first kit, a Youngs American IPA.
It's been barrelled for a week now and I'm not sure if it's going to plan, but the forums on here have been reassuring. Honestly, I'm watching my brew like it's a new born baby!
Anyway, I've already learned that the instructions are more of a guide and will probably be pestering you lot loads over the coming weeks.
Cheers, Si.

Hi everyone. I'm a complete beginner to homebrew and have recently started my first kit, a Youngs American IPA.
It's been barrelled for a week now and I'm not sure if it's going to plan, but the forums on here have been reassuring. Honestly, I'm watching my brew like it's a new born baby!
Anyway, I've already learned that the instructions are more of a guide and will probably be pestering you lot loads over the coming weeks.
Cheers, Si.
Hi Si

Welcome, im also a fairly new to homebrewing, I have a batch of that American IPA conditioning just now. Good luck with it!

Hi Si

Welcome, im also a fairly new to homebrewing, I have a batch of that American IPA conditioning just now. Good luck with it!
Hi Si

Cheers Stephen, how have you found the kit? I bought a Youngs starter kit with the IPA option. Brewed it in the FV, as per the instructions, and plonked it into the pressure barrel after two weeks. It's been in there a week now and I poured a half last night to see what it looked like. It wasn't promising so after lots of forum reading I'm going to calm down, leave it for a couple of weeks, and try again.
Hope you have success with yours.

@Si Edwards
Only two weeks in the FV doesn't sound long enough for this kit. From what I read on here three week seems to be more like it. Mine took 22 and 24 days. And a PB is not best suited to this beer due to the high carbonation levels for the style. Bottles are better. Anyway that aside why is your beer 'not promising' ? For example if its flat it could be that your PB has a leak, which is nowt to do with the beer itself

@terrym
Yeah I think you're right about the fermentation time. Was going by the instructions, and the gravity readings were spot on, so I barelled it. I've a lot to learn, and my mate has given loads of advice, but wanted to do it by the book to start with.
I say ''not promising' only because it was cloudy, and didn't smell or taste of IPA. I now know that rome wasn't built in a day!
Hopefully it will settle over time.

Last edited:
t
I say ''not promising' only because it was cloudy, and didn't smell or taste of IPA.
I found this beer took a bit longer to clear. The yeast supplied does appears to be not very flocculant. However as soon as it is clear it should be ready to drink in my view. And the longer you leave it the less the big hop hit, which will be pretty much gone after about 4 months. Many on here like this kit, and although its not one of my favourites , I reckon it is nevertheless one of the better kits brewed straight out of the box.

I found this beer took a bit longer to clear. The yeast supplied does appears to be not very flocculant. However as soon as it is clear it should be ready to drink in my view. And the longer you leave it the less the big hop hit, which will be pretty much gone after about 4 months. Many on here like this kit, and although its not one of my favourites , I reckon it is nevertheless one of the better kits brewed straight out of the box.
Fingers crossed, cheers mate.

Cheers Stephen, how have you found the kit? I bought a Youngs starter kit with the IPA option. Brewed it in the FV, as per the instructions, and plonked it into the pressure barrel after two weeks. It's been in there a week now and I poured a half last night to see what it looked like. It wasn't promising so after lots of forum reading I'm going to calm down, leave it for a couple of weeks, and try again.
Hope you have success with yours.
Hi I found a PB not so good, got 40 bottles and a capper, had a taste last week and was good but still needed more conditioning time @terrym is correct with fermentation times, 2 weeks is a little short. Mine took about 20 days.

Hi I found a PB not so good, got 40 bottles and a capper, had a taste last week and was good but still needed more conditioning time @terrym is correct with fermentation times, 2 weeks is a little short. Mine took about 20 days.
Ah, you live and learn eh! Hopefully it will be drinkable at some point. I'm a bit tight on brewing space to be honest, so the PB was a good option. I can see me going to bottles eventually though.
I've already got another kit to try, a festival summer glory. Will extend the brewing time on that one I think!

A quick update on the Youngs AIPA...
It's been in the PB for around two weeks now, sitting at around 20 degrees. I poured another half today, to check what it's like, and it is still cloudy (but slightly better than before) and slightly bitter tasting with a grapefruit hit.
Just wondering, will moving the PB somewhere cold help to clear the beer? I've tried finding this on the forum but struggled with a definitive answer (lot's of info on cold crashing though).
Any advice @terrym (or anyone)?

A quick update on the Youngs AIPA...
It's been in the PB for around two weeks now, sitting at around 20 degrees. I poured another half today, to check what it's like, and it is still cloudy (but slightly better than before) and slightly bitter tasting with a grapefruit hit.
Just wondering, will moving the PB somewhere cold help to clear the beer? I've tried finding this on the forum but struggled with a definitive answer (lot's of info on cold crashing though).
Any advice @terrym (or anyone)?
Is your PB pressurised? If it is (it should be after 2 weeks at 20*C) move it to a cold place to condition out which should also drop the yeast. Cold place means anywhere down to about 0*C. And that process is simply crash cooling, or cold crash whatever takes your fancy!
Next if your beer is not carbed you have a leak. Come back if you think you have a leak
Hopefully when you have had the beer in cold store for a few days it will have cleared. It should in my view then be ready to drink.
I found this beer to be quite bitter and not quite to my liking but is apparently representative of the style. You should find it improves with a week or so in conditioning.
Let us know how you get on.

Is your PB pressurised? If it is (it should be after 2 weeks at 20*C) move it to a cold place to condition out which should also drop the yeast. Cold place means anywhere down to about 0*C. And that process is simply crash cooling, or cold crash whatever takes your fancy!
Next if your beer is not carbed you have a leak. Come back if you think you have a leak
Hopefully when you have had the beer in cold store for a few days it will have cleared. It should in my view then be ready to drink.
I found this beer to be quite bitter and not quite to my liking but is apparently representative of the style. You should find it improves with a week or so in conditioning.
Let us know how you get on.
It is pressurised i think, it flew out of the tap, and it's also carbonated. I'll put it in the shed i think and pray it gets cold!
Thanks for the advice mate, I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back