Hi there, hello -Looking to move on from brewing kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerakObama

Reaction score
Hello
Im relatively new to the whole brewing procedure, as I have only done a couple of kit brews.
However I want to move on and do everything from scratch and by myself, I was wondering where to start- and if there are any good informative sites or whatnot . If someone could point be in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I was wondering where to start- and if there are any good informative sites or whatnot . If someone could point be in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

No need to look further than here, if the knowledgeable members here cannot get you sorted no one can.

No need to look further than here, if the knowledgeable members here cannot get you sorted no one can.

This.

I started posting on here with no intention of moving on from kits. Within a couple of weeks I had decided BIAB could be the way forward for me, and by the time I'd been on here a month I'd managed to source a set of second hand BIAB equipment.

I'm 18 months in, did half a dozen kits in my first year and now moved to All Grain.

I have successfully completed 2 x AG brews using BIAB Brew In A Bag method - I chose this because space is at a premium and it needs less equipment.

The John Palmer book recommended above by Bodleigh Head is pretty much the homebrew bible and essential reading. And the biggest and best source of information is right here in this forum.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know a beginners perspective on moving on from kits

I'm far from an expert, but I've found James Morton's book 'Brew' very helpful. It's an enthusiastic and well informed guide: £13.60 on Amazon.

There's your answer from Bodleigh Head. How to Brew by John Palmer. Whenever anyone asks me about brewing, I point them towards it. In my opinion it's the best for anyone starting out.

I followed Clibit's simple guide in the video below. You won't need anything extra other than maybe a thermometer, I also wouldn't squeeze the bag as suggested by Clibit, maybe a light squeeze but that's it.

If you do plan on bigger batches (and bigger batches will take the same amount of time) then I'd go for this: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2426.html

You can mash in the boiler.

I and probably a most of the AG'ers will have similar equipment.

If you need a guide on how to brew AG in your kitchen with minimal cost then PM me your email address and I'll send you a draft (work in progress) copy of my guide, essentially cover a days brewing and info on equipment. Update includes a section on pellet hops.

If anyone else wants a copy then just pm me your email address and I'll send out the latest draft.

:drunk:

Latest posts

Back