High Fg and sickly sweet Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff097

Chief Charwalla
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I brewed Geterbrewed London Porter AG kit recently and it's disgusting, sickly sweet.
I have brewed this several times with stunning results, but this one finished at 1020, despite, shaking, raising the temp and waiting an extra week so I kegged it a month ago, it also has zero carbonation despite being on gas all that time.
It was Lalemand Windsor Ale yeast, any advice much appreciated, I tried the Imperial Stout recently that was kegged 5 months ago and that has the same ultra sweet taste.
Is this something that will condition our of them with a lot of ageing or time to dump and move on?

It was Lalemand Windsor Ale yeast, any advice much appreciated,

That's why: that yeast is relatively low attenuating.

I recently brewed as ESB with this yeast an it finished really high FG1025, wouldn't budge. It hasn't even continued fermenting in the bottle. It's actually turned out to be a decent beer but is a lot weaker than planned, and sweet. Next time try a different yeast that will ferment out more, something like Gervin or S-04, I'm sure the recipe is fine it just feels like an odd yeast to use with a Porter.

If there's zero carbonation despite being on the gas all the time, then you've certainly got a gas leak somewhere. You can carbonate just about anything.

No. It won't condition out. Windsor yeast doesn't ferment maltotriose, and if you mashed at a fairly high temperature for a fairly low length of time, you'll have loads of that. As you're thinking of dumping it, you could try a few things first: Make up a starter of a high attenuating yeast like Nottingham with some malt extract, decant the beer gently back into a fermenter and try and get it going again. If that fails, add some enzyme like glocoamylase or amyloglucosidase at the prescibed rate. That'll certainly get it going, but it might be a bit drier and stronger than you wanted. If you were going to chuck it, what have you got to lose?

If there's zero carbonation despite being on the gas all the time, then you've certainly got a gas leak somewhere. You can carbonate just about anything.

No. It won't condition out. Windsor yeast doesn't ferment maltotriose, and if you mashed at a fairly high temperature for a fairly low length of time, you'll have loads of that. As you're thinking of dumping it, you could try a few things first: Make up a starter of a high attenuating yeast like Nottingham with some malt extract, decant the beer gently back into a fermenter and try and get it going again. If that fails, add some enzyme like glocoamylase or amyloglucosidase at the prescibed rate. That'll certainly get it going, but it might be a bit drier and stronger than you wanted. If you were going to chuck it, what have you got to lose?
I'm just doing another Porter with Nottingham, can I Decant straight onto the yeast cake from that in a couple of weeks or does it need a starter making?

I'm just doing another Porter with Nottingham, can I Decant straight onto the yeast cake from that in a couple of weeks or does it need a starter making?
Yes, you could do that, but Nottigham produces a nice rocky head and you could crop the yeast from the top as soon as the beer reaches full-krausen (as they call it). Just skim off the top and lob it into the flat beer. If that doesn't get it going, then do as you say in a couple week or ten days time.

Repitched it from the keg onto the full yeast cake and wonder if I have made some fatal mistakes?
There was some carbonation so CO2 and I used theBlichman to transfer, now realise that's more CO2 when we needed oxygen to feed the yeast.
No sign of action after 2 days including vigorous shaking up of the FV, but lots of CO2 coming out of the beer in the process, bulging the lid until vented many times, is it worth waiting longer, can the yeast surbive/thrive in carbonated beer?

Well after vigorously shaking it for a few days I got the carbonation out of suspension after another couple of days of rousing the trub, its beeb ticking away quietly a couple of points a day, down to 1011and tastes like I would have expected.
So thanks for the advise all was not lost @An Ankoù and @darrellm

Latest posts

Back