high FG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve denholm

Reaction score
Morning All,

I'm after a little advise please, I've just got round to testing my second AG brew a Dunkleweisen kit http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hbc-dunkelweizen-mashkit-23lt-p-1236.html

There was no grain bill just 5kg of mixed crushed grain; I followed the instructions and mashed at 67c for 1 hour, the temp was only around 0.5c out at the end of the hour.

Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian wheat yeast

Target OG was 1.054 actual 1.051 (my last AG IPA was around 66% efficiency)
went into the FV 21.1.19 and went mad at 20c for 2 days (no temp control just a well insulated room under the stairs)
dropped to 18c for about 3 days then no activity until testing yesterday at a steady 16c.
I took at reading at 1.020 which i feel is a little high?

I have moved the FV to a slightly warmer room and agitated the FV to try and get some yeast out of suspension.
the sample tasted ok (though it's hard to tell without carbonation)

Does this seem normal to you guys? I'm still pretty new to AG but my last one was a breeze (I've done about 3 extracts and 3 partial mashes before this one)

thanks for your help x
Sard

The fermenting temps seem a little low. Keeping it a bit warmer and rousing, as you have done, sounds the best plan. Suggest leaving another week at least, at ~ 20C - 22C.

The fermenting temps seem a little low. Keeping it a bit warmer and rousing, as you have done, sounds the best plan. Suggest leaving another week at least, at ~ 20C - 22C.
great thanks Slid, gives me time to clean more bottles ><

This set-up will give you good temperature control for ales. and can be used for lagers in winter if placed in a cold place. I keep mine in the garage, covered with umpteen old towels.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-set-up-a-water-bath-for-your-fv.66407/
Its cheap to set up, although mine is a bit OTT as I use an ITC 308 to control it. But the beauty is when you have finished with it you can pack it up and store it somewhere if that suits.

This set-up will give you good temperature control for ales. and can be used for lagers in winter if placed in a cold place. I keep mine in the garage, covered with umpteen old towels.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-set-up-a-water-bath-for-your-fv.66407/
Its cheap to set up, although mine is a bit OTT as I use an ITC 308 to control it. But the beauty is when you have finished with it you can pack it up and store it somewhere if that suits.

thanks matey I'll look into it

I did the Dick Dastardly Dunkelhefeweissen from HBC and similarly ended up with high FG, assume from too high a mash temperature.

I'm leaving it in the garage to see if the sweetness will condition out, but if it won't I'll have to chuck it.

I did the Dick Dastardly Dunkelhefeweissen from HBC and similarly ended up with high FG, assume from too high a mash temperature.

I'm leaving it in the garage to see if the sweetness will condition out, but if it won't I'll have to chuck it.

strangely it didn't taste too sweet? ./shrug

I had a stout once that wouldn't go below 1018 - not the best brew in the world but certainly not undrinkable.

Back