High Finishing gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all, just going to keg a beer today but just wanted to pick your mind about something.
I brewed this up about 17 days ago and the gravity has finished at 1.018 from 1.054.
Nothing but pale malt with a 50g addition of crystal for coulour adjustment, mashed at 68°c, and added 2 packs of Verdant yeast.
Don't get me worng, tastes great, almost like a NEIPA especially with the hop schedule, but I can't figure out why it did not go any lower at all?
Have tried moving into a warmer area and swirling to rouse the yeast, but nothing.
Anybody else has this with Verdant?

A few questions
What yeast?
Is the Hydrometer reading correct? check it in a glass of water
Was the mash temp accurate? as you are getting to the top end which the fermentation for a sweeter beer - higher FG. It only takes the thermometer to read 2 degrees out and you are at 70C
Sorry you named the yeast Doh!

Hi all, just going to keg a beer today but just wanted to pick your mind about something.
I brewed this up about 17 days ago and the gravity has finished at 1.018 from 1.054.
Nothing but pale malt with a 50g addition of crystal for coulour adjustment, mashed at 68°c, and added 2 packs of Verdant yeast.
Don't get me worng, tastes great, almost like a NEIPA especially with the hop schedule, but I can't figure out why it did not go any lower at all?
Have tried moving into a warmer area and swirling to rouse the yeast, but nothing.
Anybody else has this with Verdant?
It isn't a case of the yeast, it is a case of the fermentable sugars in your wort. 68 is moving to the higher end of mash fermentation. Should you be going higher while not knowing then it is nail in the coffin of fermentability.
It's all about the beta and alpha amylase during the mashing process.
Understanding Enzymes - Brew Your Own

The yeast was Verdant yeast, hydromete is correct, 1.000 in distilled water @20°c.
I did read that this yeast can be finicky with slightly high mash temps, I was aiming around 1.014 ish, that also what brewfather expected.
Thermometer to be honest hasn't been calibrated in a while, I use a brewmonk and actually have checked it in comparison to another thermometer.

It may be that the Brewmonk is giving a uneven mash reading mine does-Ace same as Brewmonk-.
Your reading is taken at the bottom of the Mash cylinder actually in the deadspace so it may need checking with a thermometer in a few places and take a average.
I am guessing you are recircing during the mash too

The yeast was Verdant yeast, hydromete is correct, 1.000 in distilled water @20°c.
I did read that this yeast can be finicky with slightly high mash temps, I was aiming around 1.014 ish, that also what brewfather expected.
Thermometer to be honest hasn't been calibrated in a while, I use a brewmonk and actually have checked it in comparison to another thermometer.
I have the Brew Devil, same thing different moniker. Check the calibration of your unit. I check mine every 3 or 4 brews. Use a reliable thermometer that has been checked in ice slurry. They are easy to re calibrate, if that is the case need be.

I've not used Verdant before but it seems to be a high-attenuating yeast with people getting 78% or so, you got 66% according to Brewer's Friend which is way off. I would agree with the comments above about mash temp, it's amazing how much difference a few degrees can make, I do BIAB and getting a consistent mash temp can be a challenge, I found I was mashing a bit too high and now aim for 64C and get much lower FGs.

Back