Hobgoblin ipa clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this ale so I thought why not have ago,
Hobgoblin ipa clone
English IPA
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.574
Total Hops (g): 118.20
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Colour (SRM): 13.9 (EBC): 27.4
Bitterness (IBU): 43.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (53.82%)
2.190 kg Pale Malt (39.29%)
0.274 kg Crystal 60 (4.91%)
0.110 kg Chocolate (1.97%)
Hop Bill
----------------
39.1 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
40.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
39.1 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
first off this not my recipe but from research looks close enough to start with, it will be dry hopped with mosiace, cettenial, citra, and chinook, all advive welcome, I intend to bottle this and take it on holiday well some off it

If it were me, I'd drop the chocolate completely. I sampled an IPA made with some chocolate malt in December and that experience has put me off ever using it in an IPA (I know you are just using it for colour). There are some people who would tell you to leave crystal out of an IPA, too. But as long as you're using it with restraint (which you are doing), I think that it can work, and I think that it is consistent with the beer you are cloning (though it has been several years since I've sampled it). If you really want to add some colour, you might add 100 g of crystal 120 in place of the chocolate. I'd guess that using the crystal 60/120 mix (2:1 at about 7% total) would give you 13 or 14 SRM. In fact this modified grain bill is quite close to the Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone I'm drinking now (made with late additions of azacca and amarillo and columbus for bittering 55IBU). I'd say that the malt and hops play well together and a little more bitterness wouldn't be a bad thing. Your fuggles aren't giving you much bitter to balance the malt. Perhaps the dry hops will provide that little extra to make it work.

If it were me, I'd drop the chocolate completely. I sampled an IPA made with some chocolate malt in December and that experience has put me off ever using it in an IPA (I know you are just using it for colour). There are some people who would tell you to leave crystal out of an IPA, too. But as long as you're using it with restraint (which you are doing), I think that it can work, and I think that it is consistent with the beer you are cloning (though it has been several years since I've sampled it). If you really want to add some colour, you might add 100 g of crystal 120 in place of the chocolate. I'd guess that using the crystal 60/120 mix (2:1 at about 7% total) would give you 13 or 14 SRM. In fact this modified grain bill is quite close to the Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone I'm drinking now (made with late additions of azacca and amarillo and columbus for bittering 55IBU). I'd say that the malt and hops play well together and a little more bitterness wouldn't be a bad thing. Your fuggles aren't giving you much bitter to balance the malt. Perhaps the dry hops will provide that little extra to make it work.
Thanks for your reply, I did worry about the chocolate, I have 200g of roasted barley from a previous brew I did maybe a little of that would do the job, main holiday is not till august so time to play with this

You could be fine with the chocolate, but there's also a chance its contribution would be more than colour. My concerns might be completely unfounded. But I can still remember that IPA with chocolate and how wrong it was. The roasted barley would be a better choice IMHO. It's often included in cascadian dark ales for colour at around 100-200 g (but so is chocolate malt at around 100-200 g). I don't imagine you'd need much to get to 13 SRM.

first off this not my recipe but from research looks close enough to start with, it will be dry hopped with mosiace, cettenial, citra, and chinook, all advive welcome, I intend to bottle this and take it on holiday well some off it
I've had a couple of bottles of this and I didn't really get any American hops in it. Looking at their website, they say there are some "from the far flung shores of the Pacific". I'd look again at the dry hops, if I were you. I'm not an expert on this beer, though, and what you propose should turn out lovely. Just not Hobgoblin IPA.

"Far flung shores of the Pacific" sounds like Australia or New Zealand to me. I'm at a loss to say which hops they'd be. I would have believed traditional British hops, though, again, it has been a while. I agree with An Ankou, "what you propose should turn out lovely (whether or not it tastes like Hobgoblin). Dry hopping with mosaic and citra (or either alone) would turn out great. Dry hopping with centennial would also be good (and a lot like Bell's two hearted). Sorry I can't offer any advice on hops from the "far flung shores of the Pacific".

This is the closest I have got https://www.wychwood.co.uk/shop/hobgoblin-ipa/ amped up with mighty American hops, I think you could get pretty close to this, one off those hops has to be citra from the taste alone the other two mentioned in the recipe are centennial and chinook all three dry hops sorry my fault I didn't copy the full recipe
HOPS:
30 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.82
30 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Whirlpool for 45 min at 90 °C, IBU: 7.14
30 g - Styrian Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 90 °C, IBU: 7.86
20 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days, IBU: 11.91
30 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
30 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
20 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

Well, the Pacific Northwest is technically shores of the Pacific, just not as far flung. They mention "Tropical, citrus, fresh orange" flavours from the hops and that says citra and mosaic to me. I think that the chinook and centennial would introduce a dank element that can be enjoyable, but I don't remember that from this beer. Have you considered using either of those for bittering instead of the low AA fuggles? Maybe the fuggles would be better used for flavour.

I've also been trying to simplify my hop additions to just three: bittering at 60 min, flavour at 10-15 min, and aroma as dry hop. I worry about whether the time spent doing a whirlpool is increasing the effect of the bittering hops and prefer to keep the wort either at a boil or cooling to pitching temps. Getting a reproducible result is all about controlling the variables.

"Brewed with Fuggles, Golding & Styrian hops and then amped up by the addition of some mighty American hops."
Aha, they've changed the description. Nevertheless, with the two bottles I had, I didn't taste any of the "juicy fruit" or "citrus" notes associated with the latest US hops, but I did get ore than a hint of "grassiness". I reckon they've probably lumped some Cascade in there.
It certainly doesn't taste (to me) like an AIPA.

Anyone remember the proper Wychwood beers from when they were "fiercely independent" (before they sold out) which included Fiddler's Elbow and Crop Circle, not to mention The Dog's ********! Whatever happened to those beers. I could never get on with Hobgoblin, though, always tasted like unhopped and unfermented Bisto to me.

I loved their logo "What's the matter lager boy? Afraid you might taste something? Lager's come a long way in the UK since those heady days. Well, some of it has.

Last edited:
Deffo gonna be trying this one, my favourite of the hobgoblins. As an aside, has anyone tried, and then tried cloning, the Dr. Thirsty's no4 blonde from the same stable? Probably the only beer that would make me put down the aforementioned hobgoblin IPA

I think I am just going to brew it and start from there An I get a lot grape fruity notes in this this beer but as NORTHOF49 says keeping the hop bill simple is probly the best way forward, one the best beers they do is doctor thirsty and who can forget toothless hooker athumb..

Sorry to dredge up an old thread - does anyone have a recipe or a starter for 10 on Dr Thirsty's?

I'd love to have a crack at this one.

Back