Homebrew for holidays?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a couple of crates of bottles away with me back in november, 160 mile drive and they were fine :thumb: They had been in the bottle for 3 months or so, cracked a few first night and they were crystal clear :party: :cheers:

A lot would depend on how you drive I suppose ;)

I'm glad someone asked this as I was thinking about taking some with me on our family holiday.

It probably depends on the yeast as well.

Something like Nottingham or S-04 packs down quite well in the bottle so should be fine.

I personally go on holiday to try beers from different parts of the country though, so don't take any beer with me, so have no experience at all.

I'm with you, the yeast is the important part. S04 packs down, I am using the dregs of a Bengal lancer and that is unblieveable. the only way to dislodge it is with a spoon or stick...

I take a crate or two of bottles, to cottages and when camping, no problem :D
Mrs. S has trained me now, the beer goes in the van first, so that it comes out last. ;) She recons that when white van man appears and the first thing that comes out is crates of beer :roll: :lol: Same packing arrangement with the portaloo, ;),...............that doesn't go the cottages. :)

S

I take 5lt draught mini kegs when we go in the caravan. I try to leave to settle for 24 hours. Maybe the first pint is a bit cloudy but after that it's fine.

Just looking at the "tap a draft system" , when we decided to start home brewing we went to POPS in Cheltenham ,we sampled his own range of beers dispensed from them , they were all excellent and settled on the amber citrus burst which I barrelled last Sunday and already looking very good.

I have used cornies (9lt babies) and they are good can leave a wet towel on them to cool them. Recently I have been lazier and just visited local breweries that sell their own in poly pins they last a few days each and you can get the poly pin refilled.

Done this with Doom Bar from the Rock brewery and Old thumper from Ringwood.

Looking for a brewery in the Forest of Dean for next week

Runwell-Steve said:
It probably depends on the yeast as well.

Something like Nottingham or S-04 packs down quite well in the bottle so should be fine.

I personally go on holiday to try beers from different parts of the country though, so don't take any beer with me, so have no experience at all.

The Amber citrus burst I've brewed uses Nottingham yeast ,but I think I'll have drunk it by the end of April.

We'll visit a different hostelry each day whilst we're there but have to take care with D & D.

I was wanting to take a plastic keg on holiday in June. (unless the German Cornies have arrived and I have them up & running by then, if they are then force carbing is the way to go.)

I could use Fullers yeast and hope it sticks through the journey....is there any value in using finings to really stick that sediment down?

My OH bought the tap a draft system from POPS in Cheltenham for £55 for my birthday :D

I've 2 10 pints bottles with Brupak's Linthwaite Light and 2 with Brewmaker Essential bitter made with 1.5k can of Coopers Amber malt extract,
now which shall I take on holiday?

Latest posts

Back