December forum Comp - freestyle.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The scores are in. 9 beers from 6 brewers were judged.
Close at the top, two brewers tied in 3rd but due to the rules neither could claim it.

Well done and thank you for all sending the beers in, especially around the Xmas postage etc.

I will get feedback typed up tomorrow (hopefully). If anyone wants their score tonight then send me a message.

* rules states 1 beer per brewer in the medals.

My recipe is in my brew day thread here.

I've made some ok hoppy beers on the past but I've generally struggled to get a proper hoppy punch so I'm genuinely surprised this one turned out so well (sadly it's all gone now, save for a couple of end of keg bottles).

On the face of it, this wasn't an unusual recipe for me, so either I got insanely lucky with the hop combo, or...

Best guess - as noted in my brew day thread I had some issues related to lack of kettle finings which lead to me dumping the entire contents of the kettle into the FV, whereas I'd normally leave all the trub behind. I'm speculating that the trub somehow aided the hoppiness, maybe through biotransformation. In any case, I'm on a mission now to figure it out 👍🍻

Edit: After packaging it ended up undrinkably bitter with a nasty bitter bite down the back of the throat so I took a punt and added some finings to the keg which sorted it out and it turned out smashing

Last edited:
My recipe is in my brew day thread here.

I've made some ok hoppy beers on the past but I've generally struggled to get a proper hoppy punch so I'm genuinely surprised this one turned out so well (sadly it's all gone now, save for a couple of end of keg bottles).

On the face of it, this wasn't an unusual recipe for me, so either I got insanely lucky with the hop combo, or...

Best guess - as noted in my brew day thread I had some issues related to lack of kettle finings which lead to me dumping the entire contents of the kettle into the FV, whereas I'd normally leave all the trub behind. I'm speculating that the trub somehow aided the hoppiness, maybe through biotransformation. In any case, I'm on a mission now to figure it out 👍🍻
That explains your later use of “dip” hopping which I have never seen mentioned anywhere. I have also wondered about the flavour left in late boil hops if they are separated from the wort and binned. My first Cascade pale had a lot of flavour after about 7 weeks maturing, and I know at the time I struggled with separation of kettle trub so it would have been a relatively messy transfer.

Latest posts

Back