Hop Harvest time!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Seems As the weather has broke up here and the winds have dried out the hops nicely, I shall be harvesting them all on my own today.
Pics will follow as will the pics of my Oast. See you in around 6hrs :cry:

My rhizomes didn't even push any shoots out of the ground. However I have found a whole heap of wild ones I may harvest, keeping my eye on them.

Stupid question. How do you know when its time to harvest?
I harvested too late last year & they were all a little bit too brown and dry & smelt a bit funny.

Once the cones are open, and they feel papery, just before they turn brown!!

I have under estimated how many hops I have got!!! 3 hrs in I have just finished 1 Plant, the Fuggles grand total before drying 1.7kg
Got 5 more to go :shock: May take longer than 6 hrs may be into days!

Nice one, cheers. I found a few videos on youtube too which should help.

How do you dry yours? I was thinking putting them in baking trays in the airing cupboard, turning occasionally.
Do you package them and store them, or just make an almighty wet hop beer?!

Here's the Pic's of my Hop Oast! Hedgerow Pete and Springer might reconise the set up ;)

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

All 5 levels now full and blow drying as we speak. Mind you won't take long they were throughly blown dry the last couple of days. have lost a fair few to wind Damage :(

1.7 Kg fuggle
700grm Northdown (poor this year)
1 Kg Challenger
Target haven't been harvested yet just ****** it down and my oast is full anyway :lol:

graysalchemy said:
However I have found a whole heap of wild ones I may harvest, keeping my eye on them.

Hi

I have a hop plant that has not harvested anything, though i didn't expect them to as this was it's first year.

I have, however, just come accross a wild plant that appears to look very much like hops. Is there any way at all that I can know what characteristics they will have, or do i just have to try some and find out? I only do kits, but liek to dry hop, or boil a few litres of water with some hops before starting fermentation.

Good stuff MD, totally forgotten about my little fuggle, will have to see how its doing in the morn :thumb:

Back