Hop matter in suspension

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just incase you didn't read the link I posted (reply 6) this paragraph should be enough for you to go on, also dry hopping should be no longer than 4 days, after this length of time the dry hop process will have achieved its purpose.

Now, you might be thinking to yourself, "So what, I don't add hop polyphenol extract to my beer . . ." Ah, but you probably do. The polyphenol additions in the study were based on typical levels of polyphenols that can be found in high-adjunct lagers (60–140 mg/L), and highly-hopped American Northwest craft-brewed ales (160–400 mg/L). High BU levels, particularly from large additions of low-alpha hops in the boil, can put a lot of polyphenol in the beer. Dry hopping can result in quite a bit of polyphenol being extracted from the hops into your beer as well if you leave the hops in the keg or fermenter for an extended length of time (>1 week). Polyphenols are haze formers and many West Coast brewers claim that a lack of haze in a West Coast pale ale or IPA means that you didn't have enough hops in the recipe.

How is the beer when you pour it? Clear or cloudy?

Try pouring a glass and sticking it in a normal fridge for an hour, if the hops are in suspension they'll drop out and there will be less bitterness. If nothing else it'll discount a possible issue.

Poured a glass about 3 hours ago, put it in the "real" fridge. Just checked it and no sediment whatsoever. So whatever it is, it's in solution

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back