Hopping rates for aipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm just trying to get an idea of hopping rates for a big hoppy AIPA these days.
My last one wasn't particularly hoppy, I think this was for two reasons.

1) only 180g for a 23l batch @ 6.5%abv
2) Wrong yeast for style.

180g/23l is more like an APA really so it was a badly constructed recipe in my view. (My own I must add!)
The yeast is still holding back the hop aroma and flavour, I can smell it trying to get out but the esters are dominating.

Next brewday is hopefully on Sunday and I'm thinking of going back to my wlp001 but also doubling up on the hops.
I might even alter the water profile in favour of a hoppy style.

What was your previous recipe build?

Might be more than just throwing hops in.. the DIPA HBC sent me was reallynice but never had IIRC stupid hop quantities..

What yeast did you use before? I think 001 is a good choice though..

What was your previous recipe build?

Might be more than just throwing hops in.. the DIPA HBC sent me was reallynice but never had IIRC stupid hop quantities..

What yeast did you use before? I think 001 is a good choice though..

That's interesting...

I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head but I think it was mainly Pilsner malt and some Munich.
Possibly some caramalt or something similar... I'll check when I get home.
There were about five different American hops including citra, chinook, simcoe, mosaic....

I really think the yeast is affecting the hops. It was wlp007 burton ale yeast, it's got lovely esters but they aren't letting the hop aromas through. Plus the fact it's a little higher gravity means you also get the alcohol coming through too.
I normally use 001 which is supposed to promote hop flavour and aroma.
I'll go back to that and see why the difference is.

I generally think of bittering as IBU:OG ratio's rather than g/perL

Here's a chart for the various styles. It says BU:GU (whatever that means) but it's the same as IBU:OG

http://www.madalchemist.com/chart_bitterness_ratio.html

Balance is defo partly to blame, mainly down to my recipe. But it was first attempt at this style so no biggie, I'll keep the recipe similar and make adjustments.

That's interesting...

I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head but I think it was mainly Pilsner malt and some Munich.
Possibly some caramalt or something similar... I'll check when I get home.
There were about five different American hops including citra, chinook, simcoe, mosaic....

I really think the yeast is affecting the hops. It was wlp007 burton ale yeast, it's got lovely esters but they aren't letting the hop aromas through. Plus the fact it's a little higher gravity means you also get the alcohol coming through too.
I normally use 001 which is supposed to promote hop flavour and aroma.
I'll go back to that and see why the difference is.

Should do its basically the same strain as US05 which is what a lot of us would use for an IPA of that variety.. Burton might be good for English pale ale but they work differently I think.

I generally think of bittering as IBU:OG ratio's rather than g/perL

Here's a chart for the various styles. It says BU:GU (whatever that means) but it's the same as IBU:OG

http://www.madalchemist.com/chart_bitterness_ratio.html

BU:GU is bitterness units to gravity units. Its basically the IBUs divided by the OG (minus the 1.0). So for a brew where the IBUs are 43 and the OG is 1.052, you'd divide 43 by 52 which gives you 0.83, which is about bang on for an AIPA (0.84 recommended for style).

I've been reading loads on this in the last few days and will base by bitterness on this scale rather than just thinking "eurgh, 70 IBUs is too bitter for me", when in actual fact 70 IBUs is fine if its an 8% brew!

BU:GU is bitterness units to gravity units. Its basically the IBUs divided by the OG (minus the 1.0). So for a brew where the IBUs are 43 and the OG is 1.052, you'd divide 43 by 52 which gives you 0.83, which is about bang on for an AIPA (0.84 recommended for style).

I've been reading loads on this in the last few days and will base by bitterness on this scale rather than just thinking "eurgh, 70 IBUs is too bitter for me", when in actual fact 70 IBUs is fine if its an 8% brew!

That's how I do thing's when I'm tinkering with exisiting recipes. I know I generally find anything over 0.7 too bitter for me and rather like beers at about 0.5. So is a really useful tool for reciepe creation/tinkering

Remember that ratio is an average though and it wont be uncommon for many AIPAs to exceed that up to and beyond 1 in some cases. That said 180g in 23L should be enough to get you to a pretty decent level of hoppyness and its in the right ballpark overall looking at a few recipes I have done. I think changing the yeast and maybe upping the bittering addition would be my first alterations

I normally aim for a bit higher IBU to OG, find it works for me.

Next up is a Mosaic (greatest hop ever) and Citra combo. 200g of each should make it nice and fruity.

Not hopped with this much before, but I've done a few 300g brews that were nowhere near OTT.

Back