Hoppy American Red Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
Planning to do a brew next week, its either using DIY dog and doing a punk ipa (2007-10) or doing a hoppy american red. Thought of the red as I was taken when I had PteRedactale by staggeringly good and by the time I drink this it'll be sometime mid to late Oct.

Came up with a recipe, wanted to see how it looks to others? what others have done with a red ipa. As I have stuck to brewing standard IPAs until now. Also had a thought to use the same hops as an IPA did in june (bravo,eldorado and galaxy) but unsure of how well it will transfer across to a different malt base so stuck with safe hops that research look a popular choice for an american red.

Title: Red Baron - recipe here

Last edited:
looks good that, may have to bear that one in mind for the future!

I've done the 5AM Saint from DIYDOG which is a hoppy red ale, one of my favourites, and it turned out great.

I was thinking of doing 5am Saint DIY dog. I've had a bottle before but a while ago. Actually was going to see about picking up a bottle for this weekend for taste test but a local sainsburys I drive by didn't stock it and I was too hot to drive by every supermarket to find it. Also found it very satisfying the last two brews were my own recipe and they turned out really great!! Was really chuffed with myself.

Well just inspired me to go and buy a 5am to try. Impressed with the smell, love it. But taste seamed a bit lacking. But I think I will give it a go. Maybe it's lost a bit in the bottle. Tried a few last week at Leeds ibf and have to say the reds there had more flavour, so maybe more of a dry hop is needed.

copied from Brewdogs DIY Dog

Extra Pale 2.56kg 5.6lb

Caramalt 0.88kg 1.9lb

Munich 0.63kg 1.4lb

Crystal 150 0.38kg 0.83lb

Dark Crystal 0.13kg 0.28lb

Crystal 150 refers to the EBC value btw.

I used:
Maris Otter Blend (mix of Maris & Pale, next time I'll try just Lager Malt)
Carapils
Munich
Medium Crystal (Bairds)
Dark Crystal (Bairds)

Well just inspired me to go and buy a 5am to try. Impressed with the smell, love it. But taste seamed a bit lacking. But I think I will give it a go. Maybe it's lost a bit in the bottle. Tried a few last week at Leeds ibf and have to say the reds there had more flavour, so maybe more of a dry hop is needed.

I'm surprised by that, I find it very tasty & hoppy.
What was the date on the bottle?

Latest posts

Back