Hoppy Summer Ale recipe help.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a few hops to use use up, and plan on giving this Liquid Yeast stuff a whirl, I've been a dried yeast man so far.

I also have a little Wheat Malt and Caramalt to use up so thats going in as well, along with the last of my Maris Otter. (Time to get another order in I think)

Has anyone put Cascade with Brewers Gold together before, do you think it will work.

The Target is purely there for the bitting, it's that or Northern Brewer which I also have.

What do you think of the below. I plan to brew it on Saturday. I will try to take some photos and not drop the camera in the boiler this time. ;)

Golden Cascade

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 6.0 (EBC): 11.8
Bitterness (IBU): 33.8 (Average)

96.66% Maris Otter Malt
2.22% Caramalt
1.13% Wheat Malt

0.8 g/L Target (12.97% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Brewers Gold (5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Brewers Gold (5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Brewers Gold (5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Brewers Gold (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.5 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast

That looks really good. I like the late hopping. My pale ales all get heavily hopped in the last 10 to 15 minutes. I've not used Brewers Gold before. Will the Cascade overwhelm it?

I bottled a summer brew last night made with both cascade and first gold as flavouring hops and it tasted great.

I have only used Brewers Gold once before, but that was in my first brew which consisted of 2 cans of LME and some Brewers Gold all boiled in a saucepan on the stove.

One of my favourite commercial Summer Beers is Crouch Vale Brewers Gold though which is why I thought I'd give it a go.

I only have 100g of it though, and for 60 Litres that won't be enough, hence adding in the Cascade as well.

I'm hopeful that the Brewers Gold will be able to shine through alongside the Cascade.

I brewed a 4.2% Summer Ale on Monday using Challenger and Bobek to about 42IBU. Yet to see how the hop combination turns out, but it smells mighty fine in the FV!
Challenger 50g @90min
Bobek 20g @20mins
Bobek 35g @0mins (flame out) steeped for 10mins

If it was me I would add the Cascade at 15 minutes and all the brewers gold as a 5 minute addition or at switch off You won't really get any benefit of splitting them up over the last 10 minutes

How did this go? I am litterally sat here thinking of tomorrows brewday recpie. Its was time to dig out the hops from the freezer and randomly I have

100g Brewers Gold
50g Cascade
100g Target
and some Goldings..
Only plan on doing 85% Pale 10% Crystal 5% Torified Wheat..
Did it come out ok?

Latest posts

Back