How are you using Campden tablets with kit beers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbarn

Reaction score
Hello.
I've learnt a bit about Campden tablets from this forum, and I had noticed slight TCP flavours caused by Chlorine, so I want to add 1/2 of a Campden tablet to the water I plan to use for a Wherry kit.

The problem I have is using kit beers, I need to add boiling water and the malt at the start, then top up with cold water. I just can't work out how to make this work without either adding the tablet at the end with the yeast (would that work) or buying a second container to pre-treat water, boil some, add to FV with malt, then add the rest of the cold to the FV.

How is everyone else doing it?

Thanks!

What I usually do is set aside a second bucket filled with the cold water I will be using and add half the campden tablet to that. I leave it for an hour or 2 to stand, covered. I'd then get on with the kit and then when it requires you to add the cold water I just tip it straight in the FV to the required level. HTH :cheers:

I was wondering this too but hadn't got around to posting, thanks for starting the topic!

Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll have to buy another container, wife will be happy ;-)

For now, I'm going to fill the FV, Campden it, then take out 6 pints from the FV to boil in a big pan, add the malt to the boiling water, pour the boiling water back in to FV filled with cold water, add the yeast and hope for the best!

So i had a slight 'medicinal' taste in the first 2 kits i used. Since ive been adding half a campden tablet, crushed into powder, to about 20 litres of water in a second bucket. i use this bucket as a secondary fermenter to rack the beer into after 2 weeks in the primary. (i find it helps the beer to clear much faster)

I read somwhere that the campden tablet removes the chlorine almost instantly so i dont leave the water standing for ages, probly just half an hour or so.

I dont bother treating the water thats come from the kettle.

Since doing this the kits ive made have had a much better taste.

Hope this helps

If you bottle your beer then having a second FV as a bottling bucket is very useful. You can also use this to treat your water.

I've been using bottled water from the supermarket, but plan to switch to using a second bucket and camden tablets. Until then, I can brag that my beer is brewed from Greenmore Spring :grin:

CaptainMallard said:
I've been using bottled water from the supermarket, but plan to switch to using a second bucket and camden tablets. Until then, I can brag that my beer is brewed from Greenmore Spring :grin:

Show off ;-)

Back