how do i clean out my glass demijohns safely ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave bleach in there to kill the algae/mould spores for a few days, then scrub like mad :)

i keep have a length of stainless steel chain about 1 foot and 1" links, that i put in ad swirl about to remove crud

Bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.

If that doesnt work maybe try caustic soda. I've never tried it but when I had someone come to unblock my drains recently I said I'd thought about caustic soda and boiling water, they advised me not to as they have heard all sorts of horror stories of volatile reactions, so cold or warm water.

Both need to be left overnight.

I bought one of these which you attach to a drill, my DJ's have never been so clean (and it only takes a few seconds to clean them)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carboy-De...-Drill-Cleaning-Brush-Beer-Wine-/390841720010

1433259350-62600300.png

I have carboys to clean and they are a pain, not too bad if you clean right after racking and bottling though.

U can use the above gizmo in conjunction with a steradent tablet dissolved in warm water that stuff goes though anything !

Hi

I made my own, long stick cut slat in it and put in a nylon scourer put stick into drill, job done 60p.

Better explain cut slat up from end put in scourer and the tied it off tight at bottom to clamp it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back