How I've got my fix...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley33

Reaction score
He he. Ok here goes... I'm itching to brew. Presently I'm waiting for some prices to get the rest of my equipment. My saint of a girlfriend has listened to me for a few weeks now, chanting the same stale mantra, "I just want to make beer". Her constant reply is "Bless you". :? Ended up spending yesterday soaking the labels off some Old Peculiar bottles and making a bottle dryer out of an old wash basket I had in the garden that I'd been meaning to throw away for ages. It's amazing how theraputic a 50mil holesaw and clean bottles can be. :whistle: As I sit here and write I am sipping on yet another bottle of Old Pec trying to build up my bottle collection.. Hope you are all well.. thanks for listening. :rofl:

Let's hope so eh? Need to get at least one brew in before April so I can be oppurtunistic and get my AG equipment for my birthday. :D Meanwhile I'll be perusing my new book to decide which to use for my first brew... :thumb:

I remember the nights thumbing through an AG book very well indeed ;)

Nothing quite like doing your first brew.......well apart from drinking it :party:

Well to be honest I'll to an extract brew or two to start with. Going to avoid the kits. But I'd like to have some cornies on tap within the next six months. Haven't yet told the girlfriend about the half pack cornie fridge that will fit perfectly in that corner over there... :rofl:

exciting times bradley. you'll be pleased to know that a similar feeling of excitement and anticipation comes with each new brew, either while getting together the ingredients (even if its just a bag of sugar or a sachet of yeast) or some more new gear.

On the subject of sugar... I've just bought G Dubs book.(as an american you don't know how good it feels to be able to call someone who's not your president anymore that... he he. ) In the recipes he lists sugar. In all the literature I've read in the past about brewing using sugar for anything besides priming is frowned upon. Any advice on this?

Sugar is a perfectly legitimate ingredient to use in your beers :thumb:
I use sugar regularly in my bitters, because I always have :)
A beer made with sugar as part of the fermentables will taste different to one made without, try it both ways and see which you prefer ;)
Now you will be brewing your own beer, you get to choose what goes in it :party:

Cool. :clap: I think I may be thinking of adjuncts and the use of them after prohibition in the states to make beer for a good profit...

Bradley33 said:
Cool. :clap: I think I may be thinking of adjuncts and the use of them after prohibition in the states to make beer for a good profit...
Be careful that way Budweiser lays :sick: :nono:
Adjuncts are a good way of playing around with flavours, body and colour though :thumb:

ha ha. I'm an American expat and was a beer snob from a young age. ha ha. I never placed much stock in or enjoyed for that matter miller bud michelob coors or any of that. I was brought up on bass, guinness, newcastle, well imports to be honest. To be completely honest I don't like that idea of adjuncts...then again I can be overly pragmatic, traditional, and simple... :rofl:

Ok works coming tomorrow dammit. The lady is watching desperate housewives so I'm off to read my book and give the the "Desperate Brewer's eyes" :rofl:

The sugar in the IPA i linked is supposed to give the beer a dryness that you won't get from all malt, i just opened a bottle actually (don't tell leman shhhhh!) and it's coming on a treat, it doesn't taste 7.7% but it certainly has the bitterness! I'll open another on the first of each month i think :thumb:

Bradley33 said:
Need to get at least one brew in before April so I can be oppurtunistic and get my AG equipment for my birthday. :D Meanwhile I'll be perusing my new book to decide which to use for my first brew... :thumb:

Bradley33 said:
As I sit here and write I am sipping on yet another bottle of Old Pec trying to build up my bottle collection.. Hope you are all well.. thanks for listening. :rofl:

think you may have answered your own question there mate!

OP 23L
5.5 maris
0.3 crystal
0.2 chocolate

30g challenger in boil
15g fuggles

15g goldings in late

Outstanding! Got my email from Ian today. Won't be to big of a dent either. :party: Now I've got to make it up there to get it. Hopefully soon. If not it'll be the 28th at the latest. I can pick it up on my way to see "The Beat" in Birmingham. Double bonus day. he he. And yes after a few beers I'm sure I'll be dancing just like this... :party:

Back