How long does Krausen stick around?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppix

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm used to seeing our foamy friend reaching its peak during vigorous fermentation and then gradually disappear, but on my latest brew, a hoppy session IPA, it's still visible even though fermentation slowed down drastically 5 days ago:

Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 14.48.49.png

Normally I'd have expected Krausen gone around 8 Apr, but it's still there and threatening to hang around for kegging time on 16 April. Fair enough, there's still fermentation going on (I've overshot my intended FG of 1.008) but still, this hasn't happened before. Maybe it's the yeast? I've never used WLP001 until now, or any liquid yeast for that matter, which is why I pitched two packets straight in without making a starter, just like the WL guys recommend for my OG of 1.038.

P4110040.jpeg
P4110041.jpeg
P4110042.jpeg

Not much I can do about it, but should I be worried?

PS: Yeah, temperature control. I need to get a fermentation fridge set up but we're still on full lockdown here and everywhere's closed ...

Really depends on the yeast. I had a brew with MJ M44 US West Coast, and it had a kraüsen still two weeks after fermentation. I had brews where the kraüsen disappears after 24 hours, and kraüsen which persisted a couple of days. I had high kraüsen and low kraüsen.

We should make a table with all yeasts, and have the possibility to add observations about kraüsen.

Actually, now that you mention it I also had some persistent Krausen with M44 a while ago. Table might be a good idea. I've got some pretty detailed notes for each of my brews and should be able to pull out that kind of data with a little effort.

Going back to that brew you did with M44, did you wait for the Krausen to disappear before bottling / kegging, or did you base the decision to package on the stability of OG, Krausen be damned?

Don't worry it does happen now and again I have had it happen to me for longer than that on one brew and it was ok also dry hopping can sometimes re-invigorate the yeast on occassions

It varies a lot for me as said based on yeast once you chill it then generally it will fall, here in Bayern a lot of the breweries will skim it off post peak fermentation as its said that it can add some bitterness but I have never had an issue personally.

Don't worry it does happen now and again I have had it happen to me for longer than that on one brew and it was ok also dry hopping can sometimes re-invigorate the yeast on occassions

Cheers Mr Baron! I'm happy to learn it's not an uncommon thing, but what should I do? Would you bottle / keg with that gunk on top (leaving it behind in the FV, natch) or should I wait until the yeast has cleared it up again? I'm thinking there may be some flavour impact as long as the brew has it's hat on.

It varies a lot for me as said based on yeast once you chill it then generally it will fall

That's a fair point. I wasn't going to chill this one since it's very clear already, but then I've yet to dry-hop in two days time so following it with a spell in the fridge may not be a bad idea, on both counts.

here in Bayern a lot of the breweries will skim it off post peak fermentation as its said that it can add some bitterness

Grüß Gott from a fellow southerner! I'm from Thüringen originally, presently exiled on a tiny rock in the Irish Sea...

Grüß Gott from a fellow southerner! I'm from Thüringen originally, presently exiled on a tiny rock in the Irish Sea...
[/QUOTE]

Servus.... I hope its not Craggy Island 😆

do a test for FG and if it has finished I would cold crash to try and drop it out of suspension, a few more days does not matter as time is the brewers friend athumb..

As others have said it depends on the yeast. My recent ales have been brewed with WY1318 and WY1469 both of which hang around to the bitter end (pun intended!). When bottling I skim it off with a sanitised spoon and discard it.

On the other hand, the wheat beer I got on recently with 3 year old Mangrove Jacks M20 had an extremely vigorous fermentation that required a blow off tube, but two days after pitching the krausen had disappeared completely and the beer is near its FG, it's the quickest fermentation I've ever had.

Actually, now that you mention it I also had some persistent Krausen with M44 a while ago. Table might be a good idea. I've got some pretty detailed notes for each of my brews and should be able to pull out that kind of data with a little effort.

Going back to that brew you did with M44, did you wait for the Krausen to disappear before bottling / kegging, or did you base the decision to package on the stability of OG, Krausen be damned?
I was actually making a Duvel clone, so the thing still needed some conditioning. After 14 days I racked it into another vessel and moved it to a cold place for another couple of weeks.

It can take anywhere from one to two weeks before fermentation is complete; if you have done everything right in the process, it should only be a matter of time. The development of krausen is a sign that you have happy yeast.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies, and apologies for the slowness of mine - not getting forum notification emails these past couple of days.

I'm planning to dry hop this brew today and in preparation for taking off the Fermzilla's collection jar I've been gradually reducing the fermentation pressure from 10 PSI to 5 PSI over the last 24 hours instead of dropping it all in one go. Could just be my imagination but the remaining layer of Krausen on top appears slightly thinner now, though it's too insignificant to tell for sure and at any rate it might be as much down to the extra time as the reduction in pressure.

Next step will be harvesting of some yeast before I clean out the collection jar and flush it with CO2 once the hops are in.

1618401697762.png

Latest posts

Back