how much do you drink?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledgehammer

Reaction score
hi all
i'm continoiusly told i drink too much
and this is playing on my mins so as the title says how much do you drink?
i have seen ad's with a recomended allowance what are your views on them?

steve

The recommended amount is 2 to 3 litres of fluids per day isn't it....??

RubbleUK said:
The recommended amount is 2 to 3 litres of fluids per day isn't it....??

@rubble - i'm not sure they mean purly beer/ale and cider
at the moment i am averaging 5 pints every night (this not about boasting)
i have a pint while making food and another one or two while eating and just carry on from there
i think this is getting out of hand but i cant help myself (another raesion i wont work in a pub now)
it doesn't help im unemployed and very bored at the moment (putting on loads of weight)

steve

i drink 6 pints a week and a bottle of wine. Not a huge amount but I do enjoy it. I have a break from it 3 nights during the week.

A pint every couple of days, Half a bottle of wine at weekends

Not that much really

you lot sound like saints compaired to my alcohol comsumption of 35+ pints per week
i think i might have a problem then :shock:

Maybe 3 or 4 on average over the weekend , try not to drink during the week unless it's a special occasion.

had been about 2 pints a night but trying to make that miss a day then 1 or 2 pints but weekends i might have about 3 on a friday and around 6 on a saturday so around 10 to 15 a week , sledge set your self a time like after dinner have 1 then maybe some fizzy pop/tea etc then 1 more about 9/10pm . you'll enjoy it more if you have less ;)

pittsy said:
had been about 2 pints a night but trying to make that miss a day then 1 or 2 pints but weekends i might have about 3 on a friday and around 6 on a saturday so around 10 to 15 a week , sledge set your self a time like after dinner have 1 then maybe some fizzy pop/tea etc then 1 more about 9/10pm . you'll enjoy it more if you have less ;)

your right
i did set myself limits but not strict enough :nono:
i try not to drink before 6 or 7 in the evening
but once i start (like when i was working in the pub) i find it hard to stop

well i never intended to make it to old age :whistle:
can't see me in a old folks home dribbeling in the corner of a room being liiked after by people who couldn't care less

steve

Usually :

None Monday to Wednesday
Maybe one pint on Thursday.
8-10 Friday to Sunday Lunch.

None for the first 4 weeks of January every year.

I probably get through a solid dozen and a bit a week and a wee dent in a bottle from up north too...

I usually go for a couple with my dad on a Friday afternoon , on the Saturday I maybe have 3 - 4 with the misses. When I go on a night out maybe 8 - 10.

I think if you cant control your drinking then homebrewing is not the hobby for you. Its a dangerous slope having lots of 'cheap' beer/wine/cider hanging around. I drink alot but will always have 3-4 consecutive days no beer. :thumb:

D

sledgehammer said:
i have seen ad's with a recomended allowance what are your views on them?

First up, it was admitted by some very senior figures in the health establishment that those original recomended maxima (14 and 21 units for ladies and gents respectively) were a complete fabrication. There was absolutely no empirical evidence at the time that the government of the day requested that they give these guidelines...

...so they just made up some plausable numbers.

Interestingly, in light of some recent real research which concluded that the 14 and 21 unit limits were massively over conservative and that the guidelines should be changed to 21 and 28 units respectively, the message is STILL peddled by lots of government and health organisations that 14 and 21 units are the limits when this has been suitably debunked a) as a fabrication in the first instance and by b) some proper research.

So, as a bloke, 28 units a week is 11 pints of 4.5% beer over the week or 1.5 pints a day.

:hmm: Think I might be a bit over that... :whistle:

I normally don't drink until after 9.00pm Sun-Thurs then I'll have around 2 pints, Fri/Sat I'll start around 8pm and have around 4-5.
But every now and then I'll have a few days off to give the liver a fighting chance!!

Just had a full health and blood test at the Doctors checking liver, kidneys and sugar...luckily everything seems O.k.. :D :D

Sledge.... Has said before, try not to start to early. :thumb: My mate started to have a few cans whilst cooking tea during the summer months and it started to become an habit all year round, problem was that once he started he'd continue all night doing around 8 - 10 cans of strong lager/cider mixed.. :eek:

He eventually after trouble with his marriage, kids and totting up how much he was spending went to AA who helped him out brilliantly..
He also had a warning from his Doctor about the onset of liver damage.... :(

He only has a few at the weekends and his liver is o.k now, plus he's lost a load of weight.. :D

BB

Latest posts

Back