How much does it cost to build a 3V stainless 50L set up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Im currently looking at a couple of options ;go stainless or buy a Spiedel Braumeister.

Before I make a purchase can somebody tell me how much their 3 vessel stainless brewery cost to build, I'm thinking of a single level set up so the pricing should reflect the 3 pumps required etc. The final fermentable amount will be around 50L.

I have the skills to build the stainless set up.

I only ask as I'm unsure if a 3V set up will be much cheaper to build .

Thanks guys,
:cheers:

Hi Simon

Looking briefly at the spiedel I would have thought a man with your skills could build a 3 vessel stainless set up for way below that price.

2 ss vessels and a thermopot from Germany, and a pump and your done. Some kind of benchwork will then be required. I got a relative to weld me a 6 foot "fish tank " type frame bench with a moveable high section for the HLT...he did that for less than £100 ( will gladly supply any photos of that for you if req )

The Spiedel looks nice but I felt that it took away..the play from my brewing...sort of press a button and its done.

Hard to be precise, as exact requirements will vary. For example, your probably don't need 3 pumps, 2 would be sufficient. You could get by with 1.

If you want to end up with 50 litre of wort in your FV, then you are looking at an 80 to 100 litre HLT/Boiler. You might as well go for the biggest vessels the Germans will supply - 100 litre HLT, 100 litre boiler, 80 litre thermopot for mash-tun.

This is what I built, but unfortunatly I didn't keep track of the cost. Unlike yourself, I was starting from scratch, so had to buy lots of little odds and ends (FVs, spoons, hoses, hydrometers, etc). These all add up, and since you're already brewing, you won't have to buy them again. If I was pushed to guess, it was probably close to £1k, starting from scratch (thankfully I split that with a brew-buddy).

As another point of reference, I'm currently building some 2 vessels systems for friends, based on 30 litre mash-tun, 50 litre HLT/boiler. The cost price for this is £250 (no pumps, but including immersion chillers, false-bottom, hoses, etc).

So for three vessels, and a larger capacity, I would guess you'd be up at £500. Add a few accessories that start to get essential at those kind of brew-lengths (pumps, PIDs for control) and you'll be over £700 I'm sure. It'll still be miles cheaper than a Braumeister...

Although I am only doign extract brew in a 30L Mango barrel I plan to get to a 3 vessel, single level HERMS system. The beauty for me when you build yourself is that you can chop and change your set up. It is not set in stone like the Spiedel system.

project creep can be a problem, all u need to do is see a feature on another pot and want to emulate it to blow the budget and elongate the build time.. and if it happens once.....

So,, decide on all the top features to start with and while building stop looking at other builds:) but not chewing a fruit pastel is easier..

if you have both time and inclination to make your own kit you can equip a brewery beyond the scope of the brewmeister with the same money, ie fridges fermentors, perhaps even kegs and taps too..

I would say from £150 no pumps just ss pots with 1 thermo plus postage add around £30 to £50 for pumps and plug and pipes etc add heating elements or gas burner , add cost of thermometers if fitting (£15 each plus fittings), add sight glass if fitted ( don't know cost but prob around £20/£30 plus fittings) I would say go for it if in doubt , they will last a life time more or less so may in fact save you money if brewing for years.

My build in the 'how to' section will give you an idea of costs. It was done some years ago but the prices won't be miles out and you can just deduct/add on what you think you might change. I used to brew 46ltr volumes and had a 50ltr mash tun and 2 x 70ltr vessels for the boiler and hlt, though the advice re bigger vessels is well worth a thought. As for pumps, if you use the solar project pumps they are cheap as chips, go for the proper jobbies (march ect) add on around £150 each.
If my 100ltr boiler cost £128 (worse case a little more), x 2 = £256, plus a mash tun, maybe around £150 with fb and a couple of solar pumps you're probably under £500...quite a saving on either a ready build or Braumeister.

Thank you all for your replies,
Looks like I need to read up on Vossy's build, I guess the main attraction of the Braumeister is the reapeatabilty and consistency?
Although I agree with Brian, part of the fun with brewing is the tweaking ,checks temps etc so I guess once the shine has worn off the Braumeister I could be sat there watching it do its thing :| also I do find the more I brew the more consistent it is.
Thanks again guys , I'll let you know my decision :cheers: :thumb:

Back