How much hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasermitch

Reaction score
So i am planning on doing my first extract IPA and was wondering how much hops to use and at what times to add. Browsing online recipes they vastly conflict so though i would seek advice at my old friend homebrewforum. On hand i currently have cascade, challenger, fuggles, east kent goldings, hallertauer hersbruker, saaz and summit. I also have an array of steeping grains such as black, brown, cara-pils, caramel/crystal, caramunich, chocolate, pale choc, mild, munich, maris otter, pearl, pilsner and vienna. The yeast will have to be nottingham cause its all i got left.
Cheers in advance

are you doing a brew in a bag where you are steeping/mashing the grains or have you got dme or lme to use?
what length of brew is it? how long are you boiling for?
steeping wise if you've got dme/lme theres not much point steeping marris otter, maybe 250g Vienna, 250g crystal 40ebc
I love my hops so I would recommend for 20-25L a 60 min boil with:
bittering hop: challenger 20g at start of boil

aroma hops with 10 min left of boil 10g each of cascade,summit,saaz
then at flameout 20g of each.
probably more like an APA than an IPA to be honest! the more cascade the better, depends how hoppy you like your beers.
10 different people will probably give you 10 different recipes!

Sorry i should have said i have 2 cans of LME, total of 3kg might have to use dextrose to beef up the ABV to make a true IPA

At flameout, are we talking dry hopping or just dumping it in then taking it out after cooling. I will be using hop bags for this beer so i guess hop utilisation will differ.

Frasermitch said:
At flameout, are we talking dry hopping or just dumping it in then taking it out after cooling. I will be using hop bags for this beer so i guess hop utilisation will differ.

yeah just when you turn the boiler off dunk the hops in and let it sit for 15-20 mins to steep. dry hopping is when you add hops to the fermenter, probably best after fermentation has taken place, leave the hops in for a few days or a week.

Frasermitch said:

It will but I have no idea by how much. If I were in that position I'd go, on nothing more than guesswork, with 50% more at each addition.

Back