How much of this starter to pour off ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so this is step one of a multi-step lager starter: 80 grams of DME in 0.8 litres, pitched with about 64bn cells (WLP830).
I gave it about 12hrs on the stir plate at about 20ºC, then when I switched it off this morning the solids dropped out really fast.

It's now had 12h sitting (at an angle) in the fridge at 4ºc.

I would like to pour off the 'beer' and add more DME for a second step of 1.4L - but I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water.
Is this ready, and if so how much should I decant? Or should I leave it in there for another 12h?
OR should I just top this up to 1.4L with more DME?

(note: there's more solids in there than it looks, they are hidden by the cloth)
IMG_6687.jpeg

Personally, I poor about 90 percent of the beer, and then swirl the remaining 10 percent with the solid yeast and use that, so I'd follow the same again here if you were building higher - but that is just personal opinion, I'm still a starter at starters!

I made a 2L then 5L starter with the same yeast not long ago.

I left it in the fridge for 48hrs, as Im led to believe that hazy layer is live yeast in suspension, after that it was 90% clear beer which I decanted then swirled the rest and chucked it in the new starter. Did the same for pitching into the wort.

Safe to say the 60L of lager fermented really well and the beer is very promising.

Back