how old are you and how long you been brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D

48 and I started making wine (with a few beer kits) when I was 14 (or so). My grandfather made mead and wine and I had quite 'understanding' parents.

Odd .. I used to make it but gave nearly all away ;)

Christ. I've just worked out that I've been doing this for 34 years. Gulp. No wonder I'm puggled.

48 and have been brewing on and off for 32 years...Gulp!

Porky

Snort!

Interesting.

I wanted to get into homebrew since I was a stuent but want really able to because I never had the space.....

Maybe the fact that most of us are 30+ is to do with astronomical property prices and the high age of first time house buyers? :wha:

jonewer said:
Maybe the fact that most of us are 30+ is to do with astronomical property prices and the high age of first time house buyers? :wha:

Nope it's to do with the fact it's that age when we grow our man balls and tell the wife I'm doing it, not may I do it in terms of starting brewing.

Forty-twelve, started winemaking in my mid teens, must have made quite a bit (with varying levels of success) over 10-15 years, gradually stopped, was earning, young, free and single, could afford to go out to pubs every night if I wanted to, didn't need to make my own.

Got married, got mortgage, became a Dad, made the occasional few gallons. Offspring getting more expensive, commercial alcohol getting more expensive, pay frozen and now cut, resumed winemaking in earnest about 20 months ago, plus some kit brewing, AG since May '09.

43 now............ :eek:
My first introduction with brewing was when I was 14 by helping my Uncle with beer kits, he let me do the bottle washing, filling and capping.......... :whistle:
At the age of 16 I bought a 3 gallon bucket from Boots that included an 8 pint Tom Caxton kit and 8 brown beer bottles..... (still got the bucket in't loft). I brewed kits from tins for years with medium to poor results. :(

Been brewing AG on and off since early 1990 with mixed results :(
Since finding this site and Jim's 2 years ago I now brew every 2 weeks and if I may say so myself my beers are now "very good", If not better than some commercial beers I'd been buying for years.. :thumb:

BB

im still just about 39(40 next month :eek: )

my dad taught me how to brew when i was 8 (he used to get me to do the hard graft and cleaning, not soft, me old man), then he drank the results....

did a lot of kit beers when they were **** , went on to do some of the decent 3kg kits , and some wines and ciders went onto all grain about eleven years ago(made me own poxy 5 gallon kit from a burco, two food bins , a watering can rose, a few 5 gallon wine fermentors and el cheapo beer kegs

bit different now :grin:

started the year I got married, so that's ? :wha:
about 19 years.

Had to learn everything from just a few books. Wish there was the internet and thios forum back then.
Started with boots beer and wine kits. Then slowly moved onto country wines and AG brewing.
About 14 years ago the favourate was birch sap wine.
Ag started about the same time and took over :D

graysalchemy said:
It could be worse could be chasing after young ladies half my age :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Over-rated and over expensive :!:

....... there are good things about being 'over 55' and retired :roll: you don't worry about other peoples opinions the same, the wife's happy to let you get on with what you want and you generally have spare time and cash to do it :thumb:

I wonder how many of us started off with using Boots' equipment?

46 and started in th 1980's whan i left school but stoped when i got a job and restarted in earnest in 2006
glad i found this and jims site otherwise most of the kit would have been put back into storage
and yes i still got some boots stuff

a presuure barel , hydrometer, thermomonter, heater(like fish tank one)

hi

38 and ive been brewing kits for around 8 months, and i love it, getting my stuff together for the start of my AG brewing adventures
:thumb:

jb

I'm 56. Started in the early 70's with kits (exploding bottles, anyone) :lol: .Had another go in the 80's, (comatose) :drunk: . Finally started this time April 09 with wine & beer kits, & an old CJJ Berry book. Joined this forum in March, found out about WOW & Easy White. Went AG two months ago.
It's a hard life :D :whistle:

Well I am 48 and have been home brewing beer since I was 17 :D :party:

I "worked" at the Traquair House Brewery form age 13 up to 18 when I got a proper job ;) (£1/hr just wasn't cutting it ;) )

I made wine from age 14 but never drunk any :nono: My parents and family were happy to though (fruit based wines with Boots wine concentrate added for body)

Stopped HB when I was traveling a lot, (late 80's/early 90's) but got into AG in about '95. Been brewing ever since on and off. Now back to serious brewing again 1-2 batches a month :cheers:

For me Boots closing their HB section was a great loss, as round these parts there ain't many shops selling HB bits (a 70 mile round trip :wha: ), and I used to like their ESB 30 pint kit :oops:

37. Started with kits when I was about 16. Prior to that made a couple of batches of very traditional Finnish "kilju", which is basically just baker's yeast, sugar and water. Not recommended. Dabbled with cider and wine as well for a bit and stopped all that in late 90's. Made my 1st all-grain brew in August 2010 and I'm happy I did.

Cussword said:
I'm 56. Started in the early 70's with kits (exploding bottles, anyone) :lol: .Had another go in the 80's, (comatose) :drunk: . Finally started this time April 09 with wine & beer kits, & an old CJJ Berry book. Joined this forum in March, found out about WOW & Easy White. Went AG two months ago.
It's a hard life :D :whistle:

Nice to hear of another grumpy old man on the forum :rofl: was beginning to think I was on my own amongst these 'ere youngsters :grin:

I'm 53.....so just a bit behind Baz and Cussword :whistle: Started with Kits in the 80's and made my first AG in 1986...Divorce(s) stopped my brewing until 2 years ago....This forum has done wonders for me...New Brewery is the Bees :D ...and the knowledge gained has increased so much...So thanks Guys ;)

Back