How to age beer(s)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dordoor

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Newbie here haven’t yet brewed anything yet, learning day by day and will get there.

It’s not something I want to start with but I know eventually, after brewing many and get experienced I would like to have beer that has been made for aging purposes.

As still learning about brewing I don’t really have much or any knowledge on aging beer. As a generic assumption I assume that after making the beer it gets packaged (bottles, barrels maybe) and gets forgotten for some time, maybe for specific time. I am guessing this is not all to it 😂

I am interested in stouts and would definitely like to make something in the future that can be aged.

Anyone could share their experience, maybe equipment needed for aging, please?

Does aging can be done in wooden barrels only?

Many thanks

I haven't aged any beers as I get through them too fast, but it seems to be that high ABV, malty, and low hops is the general rule. Light hoppy beers don't age well, and the hop aroma gets lost. A strong stout is well suited. You probably want to avoid oxygen ingress as that will lead to spoiling and sherry flavour. Though I'm not sure if some sherry is desirable in certain cases.

I haven't aged any beers as I get through them too fast, but it seems to be that high ABV, malty, and low hops is the general rule. Light hoppy beers don't age well, and the hop aroma gets lost. A strong stout is well suited. You probably want to avoid oxygen ingress as that will lead to spoiling and sherry flavour. Though I'm not sure if some sherry is desirable in certain cases.
I have aged hoppy beers and whilst the original hoppy profile disappears over time they mature to something different often being just as good in another way.

Back