How To: Make dog treats with your leftover grains!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerEagle said:
I've been making these for quite a while. Some variations: leave out the peanut butter and add gravy granules ( my dog's favourite) or marmite.

I started taking them down to my dog friendly local and there's now a thriving swap system - liver cake is very popular.

Strangest thing is that most of my mates tuck in - what with the price of a packet of crisps now being 15 shillings!

:D

I can't resist either, even though they're pretty **** by human standards.

Added your additions to the recipe, peanut butter is expensive!

Great idea and I'll have to give it a try when I start doung AG. Just one note of caution though is that I tend to avoid using anything which contains onion or onion powder as it causes red blood cell damage in dogs and, like humans, feeding highly salty foods is a bad idea, You can actually buy dog gravy (i.e. gravy for dogs not like chicken gravy :?) which I understand is low in salt and free from onion for that reason.

My local butcher sells minced offal for pets (25p for about 400g) so I would probably mix the grain with that but I have a Labrador so she will eat anything we put in front of her.

Just knocking some of these up now with the gravy granule recipe. I'll purchase some dog gravy for the next batch I think. I'm not sure it's economically worth it with oven being on for 8 hours, albeit at a low temperature, but what the hell it's a bit of fun.

Mine are usually done in 2 with 20 mins at gas mark 4 before that to be honest. It's just to dry them out, you could probably leave them in the sun. Or don't dry them and use them quick, my dog loves em.

Thanks for this recipe. :thumb: Made a batch and our dog loves them. I used half the amount of gravy granules as there is way too much salt in gravy granules, but I had a taste and they taste good. :whistle:

Latest posts

Back