How to make Perry?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banksy

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've a pear tree with a few pears on it. :hmm: Just arrived in the post today are a brand new scatter and a fruit press. I was going to put it in action tomorrow. Does anyone have any info on how to make perry? Should I add extra sugar? I have no idea what variety the pears are.

Thanks guys :cheers:

hey there!

this has been my first week of perry making aswell.... here is my method i hope it helps..

26lbs of pears to make 1 gallon roughly

wash, chop, crush,juice pears.
put juice into fermenting bucket with 1 crushed campden tablet, leave 24 hours for the tablet to do its thing...
nest step is to add yeast. now i started my yeast using a small amount (half a pint) boiled water with a teaspoon sugar which i allwed to cool to blood temp (no more then 21degress) an then sprinkled on yeast coverd an left fro a few hours. then tipped the activated solution into the fermenting bucket , coverd an left for 4 days. i am not entirely sure i fi needed to go thru the palava of starting the yeast. usually i make wine, and tip the yeast into the cooled must, job done. but i worried that the yeast woudnt 'start' so i 'started it; not sure that was nessesary. anyway. i didnt add any sugar, the pears were pretty ripe, i figured this woukd be good enought.
tonght i racked off into a demijohn the first batch, and :shock: the juice only came up to the shoulder of the bottle so (see my other post on here somewhere) i had a bit of a freak out! but finally topped up the jar with a half a litre an a bit of boiled cooled water with 4 desert spoonsof sugar in.. an now its bloppin away.. the next gallon of juice i have waiting, was even riper when i juiced so i definatly dont thinkil need to add sugar unless of course my calculations are **** an i should of crushed more pears.. (this is highly likely)
hope this is of some help. ive really struggled to find info on cider making, so its total trial an error! good luck! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back