How to pronounce trub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 6 groats.
IMG_20201223_142203.jpg

Groat..I have one!

I learned most of my brewing from US podcasts and for me it's Troob, Wurrt, Kroysen. If they are incorrect and they make me sound silly to a British brewer I don't really mind :)
"I'm a British Brewer and I'm very, very rude"

(if you happen to know Mr Dowie's satirical song)

I pronounce it as in "troubled" (German trüb = U pronounced as in "bunch")
Not quite right: in German, a letter with umlaut (i.e. ä, ö, or ü) can be "replaced" with ae, oe or ue, respectively. "Trüb", therefore, can be spelled "trueb", and pronounced like the english "true(b)" or "troo(b)". Also, in German, the ending "b" is pronounced as a "p", so "trüb" is pronounced much like english "troop".

Trüb, incidentally, means misty, cloudy or dull - usually as a means of describing the weather. Also means turbid. What I don't know is what the German term is for what we call "trub"!!

I learned most of my brewing from US podcasts and for me it's Troob, Wurrt, Kroysen. If they are incorrect and they make me sound silly to a British brewer I don't really mind :)
Wort is an english word, translated from the German "Würze". It's mostly pronounced like "word", but with a "t" ending, by english brewers.
"Kroysen" is more or less the correct pronunciation of the German "kräusen".

German speakers have a wide variety of regional accents, similar to English speakers in Britain.

Tell me about it - my mum lived in Innsbruck for a while so learnt German with a proper Austrian-mountain accent, a nightmare to my Hochdeutsch-trained ears! (for those who don't know, the Alpine valleys speak the Glaswegian of German)

So for me, trüb rhymes more with "tube" and "brood"

But then again, you probably talk about Wien and München, but sometimes the British just say things differently to the natives.

Trub as in "trouble" or to rhyme with "cub" for me.

I had a quick read through these posts a few days ago, and it aroused my curiosity. I speak some German, so I decided research it further. My own English -German dictionary only gave the word trüb (the adjective), not Trüb (the noun) . The adjective means cloudy, muddy or murky. Most of the on-line dictionaries gave the same meaning. However, Leo (dict.leo.org) gave the translation of 'Der Weintrub' as wine lees, and gives a pronunciation. So, it is similar to its meaning in brewing. The Wikipedia entry for 'trub' explains the derivation of the English language word, which does not use the umlaut. So, I guess that you should pronounce it according to your regional dialect, and not as do our dear American cousins.
I know, I should have better things to do on Boxing Day :rolleyes:

Well I’m happy to have sparked off a v interesting thread. So it seems - say it how you like and blame the local accent if corrected. Works for me. I should also have better things to do but in the current situation, sadly, I don’t. It must be time to get a brew going.

Well I’m happy to have sparked off a v interesting thread. So it seems - say it how you like and blame the local accent if corrected. Works for me. I should also have better things to do but in the current situation, sadly, I don’t. It must be time to get a brew going.
Agreed . . . . . It is a sad situation at the moment. However, we have our love of creating good beers to keep us sane and comfortably numb. I'll start another brew as soon as my current batch of Belgian Blonde is ready to bottle. I've got the ingredients for a Kölsch (pronounced Koelsch by the way wink...), so will probably make that whilst I have the opportunity to store it cold in the garage.

Latest posts

Back