How to Take Samples and Check Gravity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom

Reaction score
Another thread.. :) have had a search around, but got a couple of things I'd like to hear opinions on:

First up is how to physically get the beer out of the FV into my trial jar (one of these) to test the gravity. I believe it's a no-no to just put the hydrometer straight into the FV. Can I sterilise the trial jar and scoop out of the FV instead? I want to start a kit off tomorrow night, and will want to check the OG, but I won't be able to get a wine thief before then. Just wondering if this is a problem. I'll then need to test again at end of fermentation, to check when done. Again, can I just scoop, and if not, what's the done thing instead? Should I really try to get a wine thief before then, or is there another way to do it? Also, when you open the lid of the FV to check the gravity at end of fermentation, does it matter whether you remove the airlock or just take the whole lid off? Any right or wrong way to do it? Heard something about suction, think there's maybe a wrong way which increases the amount of oxygen being pulled into the FV during the process, but couldn't quite figure out what that would be to avoid it.

Secondly - once it's in the jar, do I use the hydrometer to measure the water level where it's flat, or at the top of the meniscus?! Internet seems to be split on this, can't get a definite answer!

Thanks again in advance :cheers:

EDIT - sorry for so many questions in a couple days, by the way - hope it doesn't look like I've just been too lazy to search. For the benefit of anybody else stumbling across this thread with the same questions, I'm pretty sure now that you read the hydrometer at the water line, not at the top of the meniscus.

I use a turkey baster to take samples for hydrometer readings

Cheers, I'm thinking I'll prob get one of those, or a wine thief, for the future. Won't be able to get one for tomorrow night though, so might go with what glynb says..

I sterilise the hydrometer and quickly take a reading whilst the beer is in the fv.

..although I can imagine it'll be a lot harder to read from the FV, can't get your eye down to water level like when it's in the trial jar. Does anybody have any concerns about scooping from the FV with a sterilised trial jar? That's looking like my best option in my head at the moment..

Any opinions on the water level / top of meniscus question, by the way? Or does it not matter as long you're consistent? I'm swinging towards water level, as that's where it seems to be for tap water at 20 deg C.

EDIT - after trawling the internet some more, I think I've concluded that the hydrometer reading should be taken from water level, not the top of the meniscus - that's what I'll be going with. Just in case anybody else comes across this thread wondering the same thing :)

See the general opinion on it, but I have 3 glass hydrometers. If I've things arranged properly when I'm making a big batch, I'll sterilise one of the hydro's up and leave it in the brew for its duration in the bucket. Then you can take readings at any stage without disturbing things.

See the general opinion on it, but I have 3 glass hydrometers. If I've things arranged properly when I'm making a big batch, I'll sterilise one of the hydro's up and leave it in the brew for its duration in the bucket. Then you can take readings at any stage without disturbing things.

Another vote for just sticking the hydrometer in after all! Had heard that this is a no-no, but I personally don't understand why, if it's sanitised. Might just go with that tonight then, when I check the SG. It's either stick the hydrometer in the FV, or scoop out of the FV with the trial jar, first approach seems simpler.

Get yourself a 100mm syringe. So easy just drop the end of the tube in (you dont even need to fully lift the lid off the fermenter) fill the syringe and empty into your hydrometer trial jar :).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LEEOVW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cheers, guess that's just the same idea as a wine thief and turkey baster as well! I'll get myself one of the three for checking the FG, whichever I come across first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the hydrometer into the FV. To be fair, I usually give it a wipe first with a paper towel and if I'm feeling a bit paranoid I rinse it with a bit of cooled boiled water first.

I just put the hydrometer into the FV. To be fair, I usually give it a wipe first with a paper towel and if I'm feeling a bit paranoid I rinse it with a bit of cooled boiled water first.

Three in a row, you've persuaded me! I'll have a tub of steriliser tonight anyway, which it can be put in beforehand, so don't see how it could be a problem tbh.

Thanks all! :cheers:

I love your approach to cleaning and sanitation, makes a change to all the religiously sterilising everything. I've made so many daft mistakes, like the other week I sanitised the inside of my turkey Baster but forgot the outside, and I've always got away with it. I don't pay as much attention as I should so it's great to hear others get away with doing less.

You've gotta touch the trial jar even after it's been through the sterilising ceremony though. All I can say is trail and error. there's so much to think about. If your beer goes bad.. what part of the friggin 1000000000000000 (ok, slight exageration) stages did it go bad at? That's part of the fun figuring it out.

Turkey baster are great, 50 in wilko. ... can't go wrong well if it is Sterile!

Ended up just sticking the hydrometer in the FV last night. That's my first batch underway now, pretty excited :D

Tried to be as clean as possible, but still gave the bacteria a few more chances to get in than I probably should have, by mistake. Doubt you can ever really eliminate that without a full-on lab, and I imagine "best effort without getting too worried" is good enough tbh. People have obviously managed fine for thousands of years before steriliser came along anyway!

I only use the sample jar when I'm doing 10L brews and the beer isn't deep enough in the fv for the hydro. Otherwise I sanitise hydro in starsan and chuck it in. Generally only do this after a couple of weeks though to avoid opening fv too much. I like to just open it once / twice max before bottling.

If using trial jar I santise, hold by the base edge and submerge til it's got enough in it, trying not to get fingers in. Had no issues to date (touch wood)

I'll admit on a 1gal Demi john, I take samples with a wine theif, but on a big bucket, you reduce the chances of contamination if you leave a sterilised hydro in there., and you're not disturbing anything if it stays in there.

Latest posts

Back