Hydrometer readings (noob)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaviB35

Reaction score
Hi

Very new to home brewing and currently 8 days into brewing a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit. I didn't take a hydrometer reading before adding yeast. The brew went wild for a few days then settled and had become quite clear.

I've just taken a reading showing 1.002. I know I need to get this consistently for another couple of days before I consider bottling but does this sound like a good reading? I'm unsure what the best reading should be. The brew has been at 20-22c in the FV pretty consistently.

Also, any advice on Coppers plastic bottles? They're affordable but is glass much better?

Apologies for the kindergarten questions my brewing peers!

Dave

1.002 sounds very low - are you sure you've read it right? But if it's constant then it's ready to bottle. The Coopers PET bottles are pretty good and last better than you might expect.

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate the advice.

I'm pretty sure it's correct. Does that mean I'm on for a low alcohol brew? Hope not. Is there a common reason for such low readings?

I've brewed the kit in a 25 lt FV and filled to roughly 21l. Lid on with a little loose section to let in breath. I added the yeast at 26c and the brew has been at a pretty steady 20-22c for 8 days.

No, the lower the reading goes, the more alcohol you have.
You /may/ be misreading it for a few reasons:
1. Temperature correction. Check what temp yours is calibrated to. Charts are all over the interweb to do the correction, it's some fraction of a %alc per degree C
2. Some are meant to be read at the sample level, some where the meniscus touches. If yours is a level one and you've read the meniscus, you'll be reading a bit low. The bit of paper that came with it will tell you.
3. Some aren't calibrated all that well- check it in plain water at the right temp and see if it gives 1.000

Cheers for the reply.

I think I may have found the issue. The bit of paper that comes with it is fairly useless, doesn't mention temperature calibration of specifically where the reading should be taken from. It's from a basic starter kit so I've probably got what I paid for!

I took the reading from where I could see it met the brew in a trail jar. I think for now I'll check it the same way for 2 days and if its the same then bottle it. I think a better hydrometer and an OG will help next time.

I've just been anxious about bottling. I think the other half will be forcing my hand to take up tiddlywinks as a hobby instead if I blow our spare room up!

Cheers Ryan. I'll definitely do that tomorrow and hopefully someone can help me tell where I'm at.

DaviB35 said:
Cheers for the reply.

I think I may have found the issue. The bit of paper that comes with it is fairly useless, doesn't mention temperature calibration of specifically where the reading should be taken from. It's from a basic starter kit so I've probably got what I paid for!

I took the reading from where I could see it met the brew in a trail jar. I think for now I'll check it the same way for 2 days and if its the same then bottle it. I think a better hydrometer and an OG will help next time.

I've just been anxious about bottling. I think the other half will be forcing my hand to take up tiddlywinks as a hobby instead if I blow our spare room up!

It's probably a reading-at-level one (most common IIRC) and so your reading is about .003 lower than it's trying to tell you
Worth checking it in plain water
Most are set for 20C but I've seen others.

You'll only blow up the spare room if you try for carbonation in bottles designed for still drinks (or damaged bottles) (or really massively overdo the priming sugar)

Right lads.

I've taken a reading again tonight and it is exactly the same. If I look at the level of water in the trail jar it looks, to my untrained eye, like its at 1.002.

I tested the reading in plain water and, using the same method, it looks around 0.997. Can I assume that my reading is probably more like 1.005?

The problem is I don't know what temperature my hydrometer is calibrated too and I've no thermometer yet to test the temp of my brew.

The positive is , even if I'm looking at it incorrectly, it's the same as yesterday so I may go ahead and bottle if its the same tomorrow.

A better hydrometer and taking an SG reading are a cert for me next time.

DaviB35 said:
I tested the reading in plain water and, using the same method, it looks around 0.997. Can I assume that my reading is probably more like 1.005?
Yes on the basis that water has an SG of 1.000.

Get a Stevenson Reeves hydrometer from your local home brew shop. ( about £3-£4 ) Read the paper that comes with it. Test it in plain water at eye level at the temp its calibrated for ( probably 20 C ).
If making beer from kits or extracts, the main problem is usually caused by not mixing the liquid enough and distributing the sugars evenly throughout the brew. Stir till both arms feel like falling off ( or put a paint stirrer in an electric drill ! )

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll definitely buy the hydrometer suggested along with a thermometer (just got a strip thermometer stuck to the FV for now) for the next brew.

For now I'm just going to take my chances and bottle this one on Friday night. I got the same reading (however inaccurate I'm sure it is) three nights running. I'm a little ashamed to say I necked a flat pint straight out of the FV last night to check it was alcoholic and I could tell I'd had a drink so happy days I say!!!

I'll update for anyone interested in a newbie brewers first bottling session.

Bottoms up!

Also to PiddleDribble, I'll definitely mix it better next time. Thanks for the advice mate.

Back