Hydrometer/refractometer problem-Help!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Hi all.

Decided to buy a refractometer as it looked easier and more accurate than a hydrometer. However today I checked to brews and they came up with different results!

I checked the accuracy of both by using distilled water at the correct temperature, calibrated the refractometer as per the instructions- both seemed right with the refractometer showing 0 Brix and the hydrometer 1.000.
When the two brews were measured however one showed a hydrometer reading of 1.010 and the refractometer 5 brix. I used the 'rule of four' which gave an S.G. of 1.020!! The other gave a hydromter S.G of 1.006 and the refractometer 4 brix (S.G. 1.016).

The question is, which one is correct? Or is the problem with the 'rule of four'? I did a longer calculation to determine a more accurate S.g. but there was no real difference.

As neither have moving parts to go wrong, I am inclined to think that the refractometer is accurate (hydrometer is 5 years old), but what do you forum members think, as I'm completely confused!:confused:

Latest posts

Back