I bought a pot - but she doesn't want to boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Brewjubbly

Regular.
Reaction score
I got my 33L pot delivered today and tried it out after seasoning it. I loaded it with water, but it on the big wok double ring and.... no rolling boil. It gets hot and produces a lot of steam, but doesn't go nuts. I remove dhalf the water - same thing.

Now if I can't get her to bubble like crazy, based on the significant evaporation anway, shall I simply add 10 mins or so to boils in recipes to accomodate the lack of rolling status of the boil?

Jeff

Have you got the lid on? You will need it to get a boil with a domestic cooker. It would still take a long time from cold water. A combi boiler and a load of kettle boiled water helps. Don't worry, the lid being on will not harm your brew. In "The Old Days" this might have not been good practice, but presents no problem now.

You really need a rolling boil to secure the hot break, as I understand.

It sounds like your ring isn't powerfull enough, you may need to look into getting a more powerful one, external of your cooker. Have a search, there has been a bit of chat on them recently :thumb:

Give it time!!! 30 litres of water will take the best part of two hours to get to the boil on a single ring...

With three burners under my 70l it takes an hour or so to get 55l to strike temp.

calumscott said:
Give it time!!! 30 litres of water will take the best part of two hours to get to the boil on a single ring...

With three burners under my 70l it takes an hour or so to get 55l to strike temp.
hells bells 2 hrs you should get your self a 8.5kw gas burner (for outside or shed with door open) it will take somewhere like 20/30 mins and you'll turn it right down to nearly off once a boil is reached ( boil over if not ) you would save gas in the long run and money.

pittsy said:
calumscott said:

hells bells 2 hrs you should get your self a 8.5kw gas burner (for outside or shed with door open) it will take somewhere like 20/30 mins and you'll turn it right down to nearly off once a boil is reached ( boil over if not ) you would save gas in the long run and money.

I'm going for a 11kW paella pan burner when I finally get round to building the brewery proper. The hob (if I could completely cover all the rings) would give me 7.5kW total so those numbers all seem about right to me...

Cost wise though, I've calculated an average 40l brew is going to cost me c. £1.25 in mains gas. I can't see bottled propane being cheaper than that...? :wha:

Back