The New Journey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dordoor

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's Dan here, newbie to homebrewing just signed up to thehomebrewforum as I have been learning a lot from here.

Thanks for approving my registration.

Located in Surrey (Sutton) at the moment where I am trying to find my co2 supplier (looked up a few, but I think the daily rental option is not going to be my way to go)

I have been reading, watching videos about the very basics of homebrewing and trying to get my first brew around Xmas or sometime around the new year.

Still in the process of finalizing the list of wanted equipment that I will post later asking your opinion about it, what could be better considered, or other advises.

Planning to have two 9.5L kegs to have 2 different types of beer. I think I couldn't get through more than 19L per month.

I prefer porters and stouts primarily but of course many other styles are welcome 😁 planning to have a stout as my first brew but will see when I actually get there.

I was told as a newbie I should start with simple equipment, with extract but many others convinced me that these suggestions aren't must things to do. Hence I decided to go with brewzilla gen 4 and Fermzilla and kegging, that I haven't purchased yet. I couldn't really accomodate more vessels, space is limited.

Regards,
Dan

For Co2, try Adam's gas. E.g. https://sgl-ltd.co.uk/produkt/carbon-dioxide-co2-gas-refill-6-35kg/ but other stockists are available. Stock of CO2 has fluctuated recently so phone before you go.

That would be a nice setup. You'll find you need lots of odds and ends for the kegs. e.g john guest fittings, beer line etc. These little bits tend to be cheapest on AliExpress, although take a month or so to arrive.
Only comment on kegs are that the 19l ones are so much cheaper than the others, due to their relative abundance.

For Co2, try Adam's gas. E.g. https://sgl-ltd.co.uk/produkt/carbon-dioxide-co2-gas-refill-6-35kg/ but other stockists are available. Stock of CO2 has fluctuated recently so phone before you go.

That would be a nice setup. You'll find you need lots of odds and ends for the kegs. e.g john guest fittings, beer line etc. These little bits tend to be cheapest on AliExpress, although take a month or so to arrive.
Only comment on kegs are that the 19l ones are so much cheaper than the others, due to their relative abundance.
Thank you for this. I have come through Adams gas but their stocklist locator didn't really have anything around me. Emailed them yesterday still waiting for their response.

Welcome to the forum. I'm in banstead, maybe we could swap a few beers.
Hello and thank you.

I visit the wine shop on the high street in Banstead occasionally, they have good selection of beers as well, surely you know the shop.

I don't have my own beer yet (neither the equipment) still a newbie getting into the hobby. Learning daily.

Would be nice to swap beers.

I don't really have any friend who is interested in beer so I am kind of alone in this.

Have been looking to find someone who would let me watch a brewday but it's not easy 😂

Eventually Ill figure things out 👍

There are lots of brewzilla brewdays on YouTube that will help get you started. Also some homebrew shops do brewdays - another good place to start. As long as you are good at cleaning, brewing is relatively straightforward 😉

Hi Dan.

Yes I know the wine shop. I often pop in and pick up a few beers. It's great they stock some stuff from local breweries.

Your more than welcome to join me on a brew day. I'm using the brewzilla 35L 3.1.1. I must warn you though I'm only allowed to brew outside SWMBO rules. Still it has its bonuses, I sit in my little bar and carry out quality control testing of my beer.

There are lots of brewzilla brewdays on YouTube that will help get you started. Also some homebrew shops do brewdays - another good place to start. As long as you are good at cleaning, brewing is relatively straightforward 😉
Yes, there is indeed. Been watching them and have learned.

My background is strongly on the artistic side while science is lacking I am interested all in all so that's good I guess. This keeps me learning.

A real life experice just observing would help a lot.

Getting there 👍

Still it has its bonuses, I sit in my little bar and carry out quality control testing of my beer.
It is a huge and very nice bonus 👍😁

Thank you very much for the offer. It would be highly appreciated. Happy to contribute to the brew day both financially and labour as well.

Amazing.

Thank you Jason

It is a huge and very nice bonus 👍😁

Thank you very much for the offer. It would be highly appreciated. Happy to contribute to the brew day both financially and labour as well.

Amazing.

Thank you Jason
If you find something you fancy brewing then I'm happy to go with that. You have said you like stouts and porters. I've never brewed either so would be more than happy to go with one.

If you find something you fancy brewing then I'm happy to go with that. You have said you like stouts and porters. I've never brewed either so would be more than happy to go with one.
I am down The Hope right now, tasting some beers 😁 (you probably know the place)

Your suggestion on brewing is great. I like the idea that we both benefit and learn from the brew day.

Yeah, I'll look for a recipe but at my level basically everything would be satisfactory.

Will let you know.

Thank you again for the opportunity.

Regards,
Dan

I am down The Hope right now, tasting some beers 😁 (you probably know the place)

Your suggestion on brewing is great. I like the idea that we both benefit and learn from the brew day.

Yeah, I'll look for a recipe but at my level basically everything would be satisfactory.

Will let you know.

Thank you again for the opportunity.

Regards,
Dan
Yes I do know that place. I've never visited it though. But looking at those pump clips and food it sure looks like a good place to visit.

Yes I do know that place. I've never visited it though. But looking at those pump clips and food it sure looks like a good place to visit.
Locally they have most of the good stuff on tap, when I visit I always take home something in a 64oz pressurised growler. Gets me enough beer most of the times after work for a week or more. I don't really drink a lot sometimes a sip or a 1/3 glass is good enough (on weekdays 😂)

It's a great place, 99.9% I come here alone and enjoy the beers. They always have I think 8 rotational beers on tap.

Of course when you have your own beer.... 😁

Step by step.

Today I got closer to the actual brewing activity. Obtained a secondhand fridge for £40. Already had an inkbird thermostat, seeding heating mat and a large polystyrene box for bread dough proofing.

Fridge seems to be in good condition, door seals well. I meant to accommodate 2x 9.5l corny, appears it might fit 3. If so I might change to 1x 19l corny and 1x 9.5l corny. These are future purchases.

Right now I turned on the fridge checked the temp and turned it of, will see how well it keeps the cold in. Kitchen is cold anyway.

Would I be ok with the heating mat with the fermzilla 30l all rounder or a heating tube or a heating belt would be better?

I have to look into how to/where to make holes, sort of seeing a tower with taps installed on it 😁
Somehow I'll need to remove the stogare compartment on the door. Things I have never done before 😁

Finally there is some excitement beside the loads of reading and learning 👍

43F92C03-F73B-4FFD-A5F2-D278C9608F39.jpeg

You’ll be up and running before you know it athumb..
I guarantee that you will be amazed how easy it is to make really drinkable beer. The process can seem intimidating to start with (and there is an infinite supply of conflicting advice on offer) but pretty much anything you do will result in beer of some description LoL.
Perfecting it, and tweaking your process is a fascinating journey though. Brewing the same beer twice can be surprisingly difficult…

You’ll be up and running before you know it athumb..
I guarantee that you will be amazed how easy it is to make really drinkable beer. The process can seem intimidating to start with (and there is an infinite supply of conflicting advice on offer) but pretty much anything you do will result in beer of some description LoL.
Perfecting it, and tweaking your process is a fascinating journey though. Brewing the same beer twice can be surprisingly difficult…
Thanks for the kind words.

As I see it at the moment it's both art and science at the same time. Very cool. I am sure I'll want to recreate beers and play around with different ingredients.

Haven't found a clone recipe yet but not long ago I tasted Sam Smith's chocolate stout, would love to make something like that.

Latest posts

Back