If you could only brew one style of beer (version 2)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you could only brew one style of beer (version 2)......?

• Pale ales

• Stouts

• Belgians

• Porters

• Sours

• Browns

• Wheats

• Ambers

• Specialty (but see chart for definition)

• Dark Lagers

• Pale lagers

• Bocks

Results are only viewable after voting.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
To be more inclusive, I have decided to use this taxonomy from RateBeer, which I found here.

Or click on the image below to enlarge it.

54948bf3eab8ea5d6d0f398f-1136-1794.png

So, if your choice is not listed look for it here and go to the red box.

Last edited:
Inspired by a question posed in the previous thread, I had a go at creating 10 categories of beers. There will be overlap between them, some will be very broad, and many will doubtless disagree, but this isn’t a bad template for how I personally think about beers.

Hoppy ‘American style’ <5.5%
Hoppy ‘American style’ >5.5%
Pale lager
Amber and dark lager
‘English style’ pale ale
‘English style’ bitter and brown ale
Stout and porter
Wheat beers
Belgian Ales
Sour and wild beer

The possible number of choices has been 'upped' so I went for twelve choices. Use the chart to find the correct category.

It will be interesting to see which category wins and is you would think brewed the most at home

If there is a clear winner, then I might break the category down in a further poll.

Pale ale seems to be the early leader, not very surprising as it is quite a broad category. Can't see too many voting for the Lagers.

Pale ale seems to be the early leader, not very surprising as it is quite a broad category. Can't see too many voting for the Lagers.

I wonder if the result would be the same if it had been "If you could only drink one style of beer"

I was tempted to vote for Belgian as if I could only brew one style then I can buy bitters and pales easier than belgians. I'd agree the pale ale category is too broad, mostly cause it covers everything from imperial IPAs to an ordinary bitter...

Back