Improving a kit - hop schedule.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski

Reaction score
I'll be starting a brew this weekend - a Cooper's Australian Pale Ale kit. I'll be making it with "Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2" and about 250g dextrose to boost the ABV to around 5%. I also have some hops (Cascade and Willamette) and I'd like to add one of these.

The kit I'm using has a IBU of 18 which I'd like to raise a little, and I'd also like to give it a nice, noticable hoppy flavour without being an all-out hop bomb.

So, I was thinking:

15g Cascade (7.1% AA) boiled in 2L water for 15mins, strained and added to the wort. (To add about 5 IBU's and some flavour).

Boil another 2L water, let it cool to 80C, add 15g Cascade and steep for 60mins, strain and add to wort. (For flavour).

Does that sound sensible?

They will only need to steep for 20 mins. Also if you use pellets make the hop tea by using a cafetiere if you have one. Failing that a teapot and use a strainer when cool.

Thanks Mark. The hops are whole but compressed into 100g "sheets". They're like thick, rough sheets of papermache, if you see what I mean. Do you think it'll work with a cafetiere if I cut the hop-sheet up quite small?

What do you think of hopping in 2 stages - worth doing?

You only need one boil, add the steeping hops at the end of the 15 minute boil.

You only need one boil, add the steeping hops at the end of the 15 minute boil.

Great, that's handy. I was originally going to do just one boil but then had utilisation worries so went with "better safe than sorry" and doubled-up. Cheers.

Anyone done this kit with hop additions before? If so, what did you do? How did the beer turn out?

Yes my last brew, check out brew days. I split it 3 ways, 1. Bobek 2. Motueka 3. First Gold & Summit.

It worked it well. I did a mini mash with Munich malt and Caramunich. So they are quite malty sweet, and the hops are great.

I notice you used roughly 3x more hops than I'm planning to. I don't want an overly-hoppy beer but I wonder if 30g is a bit on the low side. How hoppy did yours turn out?

30g of Cascade will probably do what you want it to, it's a pretty powerful hop.

Mine turned out fine, I like hoppiness and there is a lot of sweetness from my mini mash grains to balance the hops.

That makes sense so I'll stick to my original plan and see how it goes. Cheers.

I notice you used roughly 3x more hops than I'm planning to. I don't want an overly-hoppy beer but I wonder if 30g is a bit on the low side. How hoppy did yours turn out?

I did this kit with 1kg DME and 33g of Cascade, boiled for 5 mins and brewed to 25L and it was really good. The hoppiness was best appreciated at a bit above fridge temperatures - some thing like 10C and the hops faded quite quickly, so drink early :cheers:

I did this kit with 1kg DME and 33g of Cascade, boiled for 5 mins and brewed to 25L and it was really good. The hoppiness was best appreciated at a bit above fridge temperatures - some thing like 10C and the hops faded quite quickly, so drink early :cheers:

Cheers Slid. Where do you get your DME from? I'd like to use some but it seems quite expensive (especially the Coopers branded stuff). Buying some grain and mini-mashing looks to be considerably cheaper or am I missing something?

Back