In the absence of cider yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingypingy2

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks, quick question for ya!! Just stuck a batch of Cherry Vimto TC on, but you can't actually buy Cider Yeast up here (we have no trees hardly, and no cider apples so LHBS feels no need to stock it!!!) I have pitched a yeast starter using wine yeast instead, is this likely to turn out ok or would you recommend using something else for next time? Didn't fancy using the bread yeast in my cupboard lol!! :)

Fantastic, should be ok then :) had wondered if champagne yeast might have been an idea instead :)

I couldn't really say as ive never used Champagne Yeast before. All my TC's have Super wine yeast as i haven't got around to having different yeasts yet. I'm sure that will come in time! :cheers:

This is Dave by the way....not Marrsy! :rofl: ;)

I can remember reading that the Youngs Cider Yeast and the Youngs Champeign use the same or a very similary Yeast Strain but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I use Super wine yeast and it's always been fine.

BTW, this is Marrsy....not Dave :rofl:

lol! :rofl:

okeydoke marrsy (got it right this time lol!) thanks for that! I can only get super yeast for 99p per sachet in LHBS but will stick with it next time :)

Davey H....imagine my delight when I went to tesco today and discovered Sunpride Tropical juice on half price offer for 60p a litre!!! I feel a tropic thunder brew coming on!!! :cheers:

Oooooo,

I'm going to Tescos tomorrow. Might have to get another Tropic Thunder on the go along with my first WOW. :party:

Sounds like a plan!! The vimto cordial has also been on offer for £1 for a 725ml bottle!! So a gallon of Tropic Thunder (excluding the other bits, which I already have in the house) will cost me a grand total of.....wait for it.....£3.40!!! That's the kinda price I like lol!! :) :clap:

Marrsy,

I'm going to be bottling my Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Delight over the weekend, do you think i would i be able to add finings to assist in the clearing process ?

If you want to add Finings I would rack it into another DJ off the sediment that has settled, add my Bentonite or whatever Finings you have, wait till your happy with it then bottle.

I have been playing about with different yeasts in TC and find: Youngs yeast gives a smooth apply drink that is probably closer to a weak wine taste but very drinkable, cider yeast gives a sharper more cidery taste and tends to hold fiz better, Champane yeast is probably somewhere between the two giving a smooth taste that holds the fiz well and isnt as sharp as cider. It may be that cider yeast needs a bit longer to mature but I havent got to that point yet. Hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back