India Pale Ale advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Replay63

Reaction score
Hi all,
My next brew will be a John Bull India Pale Ale but I'm thinking of giving it a higher ABV :grin: than my Coopers English Bitter which is turning out at around 3.7%. Looking to get to around 4.8% Any ideas on best fermentables for this? Should I increase them and brew it short to, say, 21 litres? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

If you add 1kg brew enhancer and 500g spray malt and top up to 22 litres you should get 4.8%.

I only ever use light so not sure how medium would affect things sorry, I believe it's highly flavoured. Maybe someone else can advise.

Just conditioning a John Bull IPA just now (actually after only a week outside I've just opened a small one!) possibly the colder weather but I found this VERY slow to ferment. 3 weeks in the bucket to be exact . OG 1.055, FG 1.016 (which is much higher than it should have been). I brewed up 18l to get the extra % too.

Lower temperatures do slow down fermentation, especially if you get down to 16 ish. It's not a bad thing, and rapid high temperature fermentation is not what you want, better low than high.

As above, and...

I brewed a John Bull IPA in the new year and gave it 3.5 weeks in the fermenter even though I had it at a constant 19-20C in a water bath. I had added a lot of fermentables though (details in my signature) and it turned out that I'd brewed it slightly short at around 21.1L (I'd missed one 2L bottle of water). I really like it and will make it again sometime. When served quite cold at around 12C then everyone that's tried it has enjoyed it (hardly anyone I know has escaped without a bottle - even the lager drinkers get one :evil: , although I tell them to put it in the fridge). When I do it again I'll use 500g DME and 300g of dextrose instead of 850g dextrose, this will give it a bit more body and a little less ABV (I want something a bit more sessionable than 6.5%+. It's very drinkable and it carries the strength well but honestly, 6 of these and you're doing well, 8 and you're doing nothing :drunk: :D), and I'll dry hop it too.

I reckon the kit + 1Kg Brew Enhancer + (500g DME or 350g dextrose) brewed to 20-21L would give a very nice pint around the 5% mark.

Thanks for the input, I'm still learning about the sugars and what type does what. I will need to read up more on these...

Brewski 6 bottles of anything these days and I ain't doing well, let alone 6% ones! Ooft! :D

Latest posts

Back